1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

instructions

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by mkaone, Sep 3, 2004.

1. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi, Pete I did what you said and it worked.
    But, I had to enter in the "Burn Settings" tab, where it says "Volume Label" I typed in "Original Movie". I also had to enter "original movie" in my path c:all my dvd work/temp folder/originalmovie.
    But when I tried another movie it again picked up the movie name, so I had to go to burn settings and type "original movie". And again type originalmovie in the path.

So do I have to enter "original movie" in my path and also under burn settings tab..
    Is there a way to make it default to "originalmovie" each time. So I don't have to enter originalmovie twice?
    Thanks
    mka

Also I noticed in the burn settings tab everything is greyed out but the Volume label where I can enter "originalmovie". Is this normal.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka,

In earlier proggys of DVD Shrink the Volume Label stayed so the delete was it was automatic BUT it's not so now BUT there's so much good in this version I wouldn't go back.
    So you'll have to type in the "ORIGINAL_DVD" or what ever else you wish to put there, maybe just type "DVD" - it's faster (Lol). It's either that or go to the file each time and delete it eaxch time,(too much work for me (Lol))

Having the "grayed out" stuff is normal in the Burn Settings window the way your proggy is set up, not to worry -

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to leave - this is a give and take kind of deal - we had fun helping you, now you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and, you see we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you can "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete

3. mkaone

mkaone Member

Thanks for everything. It was greatly appreciated.

1 more thing if I might.

Do I have to always type Original DVD" it the path also? In the select target image file?

And lastly any word on why I used 8x media in my 8x burner, but dvd decrypter did not burn at that speed?

1 more thing I just noticed on the compression settings. WHen I removed the check mark beside lets say spanish it adds to the size of the dvd.
    Example under Video-auto compression it says 3847 MB. Now under audio when I uncheck spanish it adds to the size of the dvd. It now reads 3863 MB. I don't understand this?
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Come on mka, at least do me the courtesy of reading my posts to you, that's a major slap in the face for all the help I've given you - Here's what I said before, I'm not going to repeat myself again -

Yet again, another slap - First off it's impossible for the size to go up - The only number that goes up is the compression number and that means it isn't compressing as much -

That's the last question you'll get answered by me - go back and ask the guy who's Guide you're reading to help you -
    I don't write that stuff for pple to do their own thing with and then complain about the trouble they're having -

Goodbye -

5. mkaone

mkaone Member

First I would like to apologize to you, by no means did I ever mean or think I was complaining.
    You have been a great help.

I read every post, the question I was asking about typing "original DVD". I was just lost that I had to type it into two different fields.

Again I would like to stress that I never complained.
    I read your guide and it helped alot and
    I Greatly appreciated your help.
    thanks
    mka

See below to show you that I respected you and I was reading your guide and no one elses.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka,

I guess I was having a bad day, I'm sorry I jumped, you didn't have it coming -

Let's start over -

If you look, the compression percent goes up meaning you're not compressing as much. 92% = 8% compression, 89% = 11% compression.

As you look toward the right of the window, the "Extras" and "Menus" numbers go up also which is misleading. Actually they are "spreading out" and also require LESS compression NOT MORE -

As for the naming of the DVD, in prior versions DVD Shrink it deleted itself if put in the same folder, just re-type the name i.e. DVD (that's shorter and quicker to type) and yes, you'll have to do it each time -

Cheers and once again, I'm sorry about the flaming -

Pete

7. mkaone

mkaone Member

No problem. I appreciated the help
    mka

8. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi Pete

I gotta a problem here, when I start dvd shrink it opens, I open disc it analyzes the disc. I hit backup and type dvd in both places. Then I hit back up and it starts and all of a sudden it disappears from my desktop. I even hit ctrl-alt-del and it does not even show up there.
    Can you please help?
    Thanks
    mka

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka,

Both of what places ?

Hitting ctrl-alt-del is what you do when you're shutting down your PC unless you're running XP, then that brings up your task manager. Why would shutting your PC down make something show up ? If you have XP, what does your task manager say ?

Pete

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka,

re-reading this thread - you were using DVD Shrink last month (Sept. 4th) why not do what you were doing then ?

Pete

11. mkaone

mkaone Member

hi pete, I was just giving you the steps I was doing .
    I do the steps as below, just as I always have done and now after I hit backup and it starts to back up, the program dissappears.

After I load dvd and open disc and it analyzes. I hit backup and type dvd in the "select target image file" and in the "burn settings" I type in dvd. So it will prompt me and I can over ride the previous dvd, insteaf of creating a new one, taking up space.

In the task manager it does not show DVD Shrink running.
    Thanks mka

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's not a selection.

What are you trying to prove ?

13. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hi, OK let me start over, For some reason dvd shrink is just disappearing. I have done nothing different. So I was asking your help to see if something went wrong.
    So I am showing you the steps I was doing when the dvdshrink just stopped and disappeared.

1)I start DVD Shrink
    2)I hit open disk and it analyzes the disc
    After the analysing is finished,
    3)I hit backup
    4)On the tab target device(which is the 1st tab)
    In the select target image file. I type
    C:\AllDvdWork\Temp\DVD.ISO, So it overwrites the
    last dvd-to save room on hard drive
    5)Then I hit the 5th tab called burn settings, then
    under burn settings in the "Volume Label", I type
    DVD.
    6)Then I hit "OK" and Dvdshrink starts working and
    all of a sudden DVDshrink program disappears from
    my desktop. It does not even show up in
    task manager.

These are the steps I have been doing all the time and it was working just fine.
    Then on October 5th it started this disappearing act.

I hope I am clear on this now.
    Thanks for the help
    mka

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mka,

#4. You don't have to type anything there. This should read the same as the last DVD you backed up on it.
    As far as # 5 goes you don't have to type anything there at all. Let that alone :p)

I'll get ddlooping (the DVD Shrink expert) to take a lQQk at it.

Eventually, we'll get it right Lol -

Pete

Until then, uninstall DVD Shrink then re-install it - it's sounding like a corrupt file somewhere :(

15. mkaone

mkaone Member

Hello, I just did an uninstall and reinstall and everything is fine.
    thanks
    mka

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey mka, you just ruined a great excuse for me to start drinking again - (Lol)

It was driving me to drink, I told my wife, and she was buying it -

No, whatever the cause, I'm super glad your back in control -

Burn on good guy, burn on :p)

It's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around to some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there -

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central" and pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your computer work a bit easier -
    (NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. He's booked up until June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then,

Sea Ya - - -

Pete