1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel or AMD?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by daemonzx6, Nov 15, 2004.

1. honordlf

honordlf Guest

The best website I found for info is tomshardware.com. Pretty much all the benchmarks reflect that AMD beats the pants out of Intel for gaming, but, Intel is superior for encoding. Overall, the designation of speed that AMD uses means that their chip will compete with the corresponding Intel chip (2800+ vs. 2.8 ghz). I just built an AMD64 3400+ that rocks for gaming. Overall, I think that AMD is a better value for the money.

2. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I would have expected something like that. But since most programs don't use 64 bit processing, and neither does Windows, AMD is the only choice for me, as they are the only ones with 64 bit processing. I have also heard time and time again that AMD is just better than Intel.

3. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

which would be better for mainly gaming purposes...AMD Athlon 64 3400+ or Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz. AMD being 754 socket, and Intel being 478. (not that socket would matter but...) Now I realise theres probably going to be some mixed oppinions, but I still would like to know.

4. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

can't beleive somebody brouhgt up this old thread.
    anyway, read the above post by Prisoner, and then decide what you want to do

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  5. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

ok and 1 question, what is the difference between Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz and Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz(prescott)?

6. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Did you see those two different names? I am pretty sure that all 3GHz+ Intel processors are all "Prescott" type processors. Wherever you saw that probably made a mistake.

7. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

8. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Oh, the Prescott is for the regular P4 socket, and the other one is either the one with less cache (model P4 - 3.2C), or the one for the LGA775 socket (model LGA775 3.2G), depending on which one you are talking about.