1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interactive services on Linux STBs

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by stebo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. stebo

stebo Member

Hi,

Do any of the Linux based cable set top boxes support the use of interactive (red button) services? Am really fed up with the way Virgin Media lets you only use some of the stuff and its in a weird format. Have been searching around the web for this an answer but to no avail. Any help greatly appreciated

Stebo

Also, whats the best cable box to get with HDD support?

2. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

If you had interactive services then VM would be able to trace your box. DBox2 has HDD support with an add-on, Dreambox 600PVR has the interface built in & Starview PVR can take HDD & has 2 tuners.

3. stebo

stebo Member

cheers fekker,

I take it all three allow the use of DVB-C tuners? have just spotted loads of different boxes on the web and some say DVB-T or DVB-S only.

Also if I had both a linux box and my original VM box plugged in at the same time to still be able to use the interactive services would this affect being traced or what not?

4. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

DVB-T is for terrestrial, DVB-C is satellite. If you use a splitter then you can run both & have interactive on the original box without being traced. If you use the cable out on the linux box to feed the original box you won't get interactive services.