1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interent disconnect with pop ups...please help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by {TKO}, Mar 13, 2005.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

replace with ad-aware se & run in safe mode

2. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Ok. Replaced my Ad-aware 6.0 with Ad-aware Pro SE, and nothing. Well, technically it did kind of help, cause it found stuff that 6.0 hadn't. But my main problem still exists. I'm at the point where I am just gonna back-up my shhhhtuff and restore from scratch. I still wanna isolate the problem or find out what the problem is, but at least I'll have my baby back.

3. ddp

did you do a full scan or a smart scan. also did you try an online scan??

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

full scan...and no i haven't done the online scan.... if you're talking about the antivirus.com thing... it did the disconnect thing when i tried it... so yes i tried but with no success....

5. ddp

try spybot s&d 1.3? to see what it finds

6. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

found a bunch of crap but didn't fix the problem...

thx for the help so far...

7. kanum

kanum Member

spy bot sucks the only thing i like is tea timer but when microsoft came out with thier anti spyware/adware program i switched and got rid of ad-aware and Spy bot ad-aware is still nice but spy bot sucks its slow and it always dosnet find everything

8. kanum

kanum Member

anyways what other programs do you have open? also try this
    right click on whatever link that opens a new window and click on copy shortcut then press alt+d and press ctrl+v and press enter and if that dosnet work you probably have something running in the back ground if ur running xp or win 2000 open up ur task manager and check how many processes are running remember that then press window(key)+ R
    and type in msconfig once you are there go to start up and check what starts up then start messing around with it a little look at thier paths if it goes anywhere into windows directory dont kill it

this might or might not work but if i was you id try it

9. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

That sounds like an idea to me : ) its the easiest way and you will have a fresh OS.

10. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

kanum: i try to avoid Microsoft stuff as much as possible. so i don't know if any Microsoft software will get on my pc to help. but i will try the other suggestions in the meantime...thanx

everyone: thanx again for all the help so far.

11. solargame

solargame Regular member

spyware doctor:search and destroy is very good becuase it finds nearly everything, big or small. i also have norton a, 2005. i HATE IT. i do a search that normally takes 3-4 minutes with spyware doctor take 1-1.5hours. then when it is done it only finds like 50 potential hazards when i did the same scan with spyware doctor i got about 1000 potential hazards.then i try to delete them and 90% of the deletes fail and spyware doctor cleans them all. i payed 50 dollars for nothing. spyware doctor has a free version with updates and a mild online protection. its definetly worth your time.
    get spyware doctor s$d at http://www.download.com by cnet.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  12. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i jus tried the spyware doctor, and it found nothing at all. so i guess that isn't the problem either. thanx though.

13. solargame

solargame Regular member

do you have any psp programs. becuase i know kazaa has bundled adware on it.

14. solargame

solargame Regular member

if that is not the answer, you probably must have given your e-mail to some website or registration and they might have sold it to third party groups. or the registration might have been cleen but you have spyware that saw it all and sends it to you.

15. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

as for p2p...no...i just do IRC. I'm not toosure anymore that this is simply a apyware/adware problem. i'm starting to think it may be deeper. oh well, guess 'll just back-up my shhhtuff and call it a day...so to speak.

thx

16. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Ladies and gentlemen, I have found the problem. I was sitting back contemplating my problem. Then it occurred to me that I have always hated Java, and thought since yahoo uses Java I could use that as an excuse to look at Java suspiciously. So, I proceeded to check Java out and see if maybe in the "add/remove software" section it had a utility to repair. It did not of course, but it had the website listed. So, I then proceeded to the website and VIOLA it disconnected. I was so happy that my hatred of Java was now grounded. So, I then went to remove the Java proggie, and it prompted to restart the PC. I did, and to my dismay, while restarting, the screen stayed black and the HD indicator light stopped flashing. *GASP* I hard booted it and again black screen, no HD light. So I disconnected the power cord and tried starting it in safe mode. It froze mid-check. I hard booted yet again, but this time I reverted the HD using my Goback proggie. Once in, I went into my Program Files, and shft+del'ed the whole damn Java file. I went online to yahoo and YAHOOOO!!!!! it worked. The bad part is now I can't access the website anyway cause firefox says it needs the plug-in. Yes, I know that still doesn't fix the problem, but at the very least I now know WHAT the problem is. So, with this new info, an suugestions on fixing the problem. Thanx in advance.

17. ddp

could defrag your computer than re-install windows ontop of self if win9x or do the repair option if win2k or xp

18. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

hmmm...will that keep all my current stuff on the HD? Sorry for the newbie question ,but I've never tried that.

19. ddp

should be alright for data but might have to reload some or all programs but that is a wait & see on that part

20. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I just might have to try that then.