1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in getting a HD, need some tips for newbie

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Rogue_77, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I'm interested in getting a HD for my system. My system is unmodded but what I would like to know is if I got a program like HD Loader or even the Sony install disc with their HD, would it prep the HD?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

hd loader or hd advance will work. they must be original since you don't have a mod. also, maxtor harddrives are recommended.

3. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Thanks for the info. Could I use the Sony HD install disc to prep it as well since it'll be easier for me to get my hands on it until I can get one of those programs

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

no, the sony disc will not let you put games on the hd. The prep time with hdloader/hdadvance is only a few seconds. BUT, if you want to play ffxi or download new maps for socom, you must have the original sony hd and disc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  5. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Lemme see if I understand this right. I'll need HD Loader/Advance to store games on the HD. Using the same program, I can still store my saves just like the original HD. But, can I use the Sony HD disc to format/setup a third-party drive for the game saves at the very least?

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

No

What do you mean by game saves? You can't use the hd like a memory card.

7. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Wasn't that what the original purpose of the HD, to be able to store savegame data instead of using the memory cards?

8. Mentch

Mentch Member

I think what he is talking about is kinda like i wanna do. He wants to be able to have the new map for socom and play it online. Does the Original PS2 Hard drive utility disk work for just doing this. Thats the only thing that im looking to do. Or do you need to use hdloader or something else?

9. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

Close, what I wanted to do was to clear up my memory card from all the saved games. I want to store them on the HD, the ability to copy my PS2 games to the HD will be the bonus of getting the HD Loader. I'm just interested in finding out wether I can just use the Sony HD Utility disc to setup the HD first as I can get my hands on that fairly easy as I don't have HD Loader YET.

10. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you can't use the hd just like a memory card. You can transfer your saves from the memory card to the hd, but you cant directly save to it.

11. Rogue_77

Rogue_77 Member

I thought so, I just wanted to store them there as I need them. That being said, can I use the Sony Utility disc to setup the HD for now until I get my hands on HD Loader/Advance?