1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal DVD burner vs External DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Woolie, May 12, 2004.

1. Woolie

Woolie Guest

Hey folks,

I looking into purchasing a DVD burner, but I have a few questions first. My main concern is speed, I currently us a Pioneer A05 at work and find it works well but is alittle slow. Has anyone worked with the Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder? If so is it quick? All I really want to know is if a stand alone DVD burner is quicker than an internal burner...

2. grogey

grogey Guest

I can't help you with an answer to your question Woolie but it is great that you are doing the research before you purchase.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

An internal burner and a component recorder are designed for different primary uses. An internal burner is going to be faster and more flexible than a component recorder.

What burning activities do you have in mind?

4. Woolie

Woolie Guest

Nephilim,

well, essentially I will be making Aurthored DVD movies of auditions for movies, and the quicker I can get the DVD's to the casting director the better.

5. Nephilim

Hi,

In that case I would absolutely get an internal burner for your PC. A component recorder going to be a pointless and uneeded effort for your purposes.

The best deal going is the Pioneer A07/107 - very high quality drive at a bargain price and is capable of burning at 8X.

Since you will be sending DVDs to be played in all sorts of different players, I would highly suggest using top quality media (a recommended practice anyway) such as Ritek G04 or Verbatim Metal AZO for the best compatibility as well as keeping the burn speeds at 4X unless you use 8X rated media.

The allure of buying the cheapest discs you can find is strong, especially when you need a lot of them, but you can expect pixellation and skipping if you do :)

6. Woolie

Woolie Guest

Thanks Neph....much appreciated!

Take Care

7. Nephilim

My pleasure :)