1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal forum search disabled temporarily, switched to Google

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Despite the fact that I don't like the idea of losing control of our search ability, we simply had to turn off the internal forum search engine due massive traffic boost we have seen since yesterday and the forum search was simply (on its own part) killing the database server. The forum search now uses Google's site-search until we get our database server upgraded, which will hopefully happen within January.

So, search ability is still there, but it is not _that_ up-to-date, so searching threads updated within last few hours probably wont give you any results whatsoever. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this will hopefully help more users to actually _GET_ to the site :)

2. john179

john179 Active member

Thanks for the info as i have been having some bad experience recently when coming to AD.Either the pages load really slow or i hit a white screen saying this page is not available sort of speak.It has been really frustrating recently.I have put it down to the Christmas break and eveyone using the site recently.I'm really glad to see that this has been noticed and will be dealt with in due time.

Much appreciated.

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Thats too bad, o well, going though Google should generate more traffic to the site, which is good that is how i stumbled upon this site in the first place. dRD keep up the good work, i love this site.

4. dRD

As annoying the Google search is, it has solved the problem -- its been now 10 days since the switch and servers haven't crashed even once. We're working on a plan to upgrade the servers within next few weeks, but until then, the current Google search remains as the only search option for the forums.

5. swimhobo

swimhobo Guest

on the new thin ps2, can you connect a small flat screen to the back of it?... the ones you buy for it at the stores?

6. dRD

swimhobo: Congrats, replying non-relevant, against-the-forum-rules posts to two aD's forum news threads. Bye.

7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

wonder why people don't read the rules when they sign up, it would save you mods a lot of headache :)

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

make it manditory when trying to sign up

9. atzero

atzero Member

hahahahahahahah

that has to be the most random post i have ever seen