1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Connection Stopping Traffic Flow

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rafigold, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

I am using a standard dial up modem which worked fine until i had a problem with the hard drive on my computer. I ended up reformatting the hard drive and starting again with the same software. It has XP Pro with SP1.

When I dial up now it connects no problem and works fine for a minute or 2, but then it stops all data transfer. The connection remains but no data goes either way and it is unresponsive to clicks on anything, though it doesn't actually hang. I have tried using a different modem, and different PCI slots, but the same thing happens. I have also tried using different computers dialing up to the same ISP and the same login and they do not have any problems.

I can only assume it is some sort of software problem or setting problem but have no idea where to start. Any advice would be most useful.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

are you using the default xp driver for the modem or the xp version from modem cd. also check modem site for updated drivers

3. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

I loaded the driver from the disc that came with it. Exactly the same as i did the 1st time i set the machine up and it worked fine that time. I will look for the latest driver online, try that, and report back.

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

First off i was thinking of a WinSocks problem, but its weird how it connections, but after a few mins it stops data flow.

Try going to http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm and downloading LSPFIX.exe. Once you have downloaded it, double click on it. Are any files under the 'Remove' heading ?

CJC

5. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

I have downloaded it, but cannot check it now as i am at work. Obviously this is painful as any downloading has to be done on a separate computer. I have also found many people with problems with this modem (Intel 537) and have downloaded a different driver suggested there.
    http://www.modemhelp.net/vblite/showthread.php3?threadid=1350

6. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

The new driver along with some of the other fixes suggested on the link above have solved the problem. Thanks