1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet connection

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by cdtlb, Jan 15, 2007.

1. cdtlb

cdtlb Member

every time i try to connect to the internet, it says a connection error has occured the attepmt to obtain the ip address timed out. what does this mean and what do i do to connect to the internet

2. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

do you have a wireless router, or are you in a wireless hotspot?

if not, that's ur problem :)

3. guano

guano Regular member

Smurff,

what font is that that says "Smurff" in your sig? That looks well good.

4. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

starcraft actually :)

used to play that sumbitz all nite long years ago, and i liked the font too so i figured i'd use it. thanx.

5. guano

guano Regular member

Too bad they ixnayed StarCraft Ghost. I was really looking forward to that on PS2. Looked nice.

Killer font. I might try to use that on my PSP for my custom font.

6. cdtlb

cdtlb Member

i have a router, i have no idea what to do

7. shedeus

shedeus Regular member

is your lan switch on the left in the up/on position?

8. raganarok

raganarok Guest

what FW are you if ur 3.03/02 oe-a/b try turning your psp completely of then on and try again or if using devhook to connect try reinstalling devhook

9. Xithon

Xithon Member

First of all I must say one of the things I've seen far too often in forums: please give more details.

Don't worry, I don't mind too much as you seem quite new here. But what firmware are you running on? Are you attempting to access the internet in a devhook emulated firmware or custom firmware like Dark_Alex's? Have you at all changed your CPU clock running speed?

I suppose an obvious thing to ask is, are you within range of your wireless network router? If you have a 1.5 PSP (basically a PSP that can run homebrew applications) then try running this program on your PSP. It will report any wireless networks it can find and give you their mac address, SSID, any encryption present and name, which will allow you to get into networks that have no security (like WEP or WPA). What the program won't do is tell you any security codes if the networks have any. You'll have to find this out yourself if you have your own wireless network.

The reason I asked about your CPU clock speed is because I doubt the internet can connect at all if you're running it at anything except the system default of 222MHz. At least, I've never been able to connect on any speed other than default.

If you already have the SSID and any encryption codes, and if you're running your CPU clock speed at the default, you shouldn't have a problem. You can use the internet while emulating a firmware in devhook, too, if that's what you're doing. As I say, it's the CPU speed that gets some people.

See what you can come up with. Good luck

10. cdtlb

cdtlb Member

alright, sorry to keep asking u these stupid questions, but being as im new here and completely new to all this psp stuff. what does homebrew, dev hook and firmware mean and how do i go about checking my clock speed or whatever

11. Xithon

Xithon Member

No worries, you shouldn't have to worry about devhook or custom firmwares if you've not encountered them before, but here's a few decriptions just in case you're interested:

-Firmware is the version of your PSP, put simply. If you navigate in your PSP's main menu all the way to the left and select System Settings then go down to System Information, it will tell you your nickname, firmware version (PSP version) and your mac address.

-Homebrew means applications such as games or programs that have been made to work on PSPs with a firmware version of 1.0 and/or 1.5, in most cases. The reason they only work on lower firmwares like 1.0 or 1.5 is because these are relatively old and have less security built-in by Sony, making it possible to run these wonderful goodies that Sony really don't want you to be playing.

-Devhook (otherwise known as Developer Hook or DH) is a homebrew application made specifically to emulate newer firmware versions without actually updating the PSP in any way (or to put it another way, it tells the PSP it's got a different version of firmware than it actually has). Why would you want to do this? Well, although Sony really don't want us to play homebrew games and programs on our PSPs (and therefore include more security in their newer firmware updates), they also try to include new bits and bobs in updates, and not only this but the latest UMD games out require what are usually higher firmware versions than some people have. So using devhook, you can run your PSP in a newer firmware and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer, without loosing the ability to go back to your older firmware and play homebrew games and programs. There's also a lot more that can be done with devhook, but I won't go through that now.

-Clock Speed is quite simply how fast the PSP's processor is running at. It's just like a computer: the higher the speed, the better and smoother performance you'll enjoy. Programs like devhook have the option of being able to change the clock speed to get better performance. But since I'm assuming you don't have devhook or anything like this, you needn't worry about it.

One thing I'd like to ask is if you could look up what your PSP's (firmware) version is running and tell me what it is. That can help me get an idea of the situation.

I hope those descriptions are of some help to you, I could give you information about more of anything in a private message if you like, saves stealing all the space in your thread even more :)