1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet connection?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ptkut, Jun 14, 2007.

1. ptkut

ptkut Member

hi. Havent been able to figure out this problem so far but i think its maybe the internet connection. Well anyways i play online games(unreal tournament) but alot of servers i go to crash right when i get in, i mean not just me but the whole server actually resets when i go in em. So i dont think its the computer because it does it on 2 computers i got, tried reinstalling game on both, still does it so im guessin it might be the internet connection itself. I got charter cable 3.0Mb. If u think it is the IC what about it would cause this? If not what else would it be. I would appreciate any ideas. Kinda annoying, this is my fav game but cant play on alot of servers. I had the same connection before and never had this problem.

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

If you've had the connection before and never ran into these problems it may be something on your machine. I'm aware you said it happens with both machines but chances are you have them networked together, which is about the same as having two people hooked to one dialasis machine - if one person catches something they both get it.

You may want to check and see how Steam (which I presume you're using, either that or something like allseeingeye) is handling to dataflow. If its gargled you might have something like a modified version of xspeed slowing you down or highjacking your in-game bandwidth.

It never hurts to be safe. Really, really safe. So take the time to run the free virus scan (no download needed) from bitdefender.com and let it run all the way through. I use it all the time here in my shop and it helps out significantly.

If a good washing of viruses and malware doesn't help your problem, you might try checking to see if those servers are running mods or different versions than you. If the differences are too extreme, they normally will not allow you to log in, but if they differences are not that extreme, yet still to much for the server to handle, it may crash.

Another good thing to consider is that your at 3Mbps, which is going to be significantly faster than a homebrew server on a DSL connection running 1Mbps, so you may be eating up all of these slower servers resources. Homebrew servers are almost always hosted on machines that aren't really fit to house them, too. For example, a friend of mine runs a world of warcraft server on a P3 running 512 RAM and a 1Mbps DSL connection. Needless to say its a very laggy server once more than two people connect.