1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet consistently spikes

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by davestephans, Sep 29, 2017.

1. davestephans

davestephans Newbie

I have an issue with the internet that all happened after an "area" wide internet failure according to my ISP... After the failure and internet was brought back up, my internet has been spiking every 10 seconds or so and makes playing games online impossible. My ISP claims there is nothing wrong with their service and everything is working (which i want to call BS on them) and I did a traceroute and every hop after my modem gets that consistent 10 second spike from 10-100ms to 500-1000ms then back down to normal. This doesnt effect normal internet usage but for online gaming, it kills every game as it will either 1. disconnect me, 2. spectate me for too much lag, 3. make it unplayable with horrible hopping and choppyness of players...

Anyone have a solution as clearly my ISP will not provide me with a proper solution? My router networking setup is fine, so is there a way to check if it is the modem that is causing all of this problem? this is a cable modem btw.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried resetting the modem by disconnecting the power & data cables from the modem, count to 20 then reconnect the power & data cables to the modem?