1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet disconnecting router

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lfcnathan, Apr 12, 2007.

1. lfcnathan

lfcnathan Regular member

Hi, i am on wireless network. In my computer i have a network card which is picking up the router which is downstairs.

Downstairs computer is connected to modem, modem is connected to router and router is connected to modem.
    My computer upstairs picks up the router downstairs.

Every so often, my internet will just disconnect. In my toolbar my wireless internet connection will be Xed, and my belkin symbol goes from green to red. Showing everything is offline.

As a result of this i usually have to restart my computer and all is fine as trying to repair the wireless network connection often results in a ! in a yellow triangle saying, limited or no incomming connections.

This seems to happen when i am using utorrent, downloading and uploading.

Why does it do this sometimes ?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread teleported to relevant forum.

I've had major and long-running problems with Belkin wireless routers, but i have very good results with various Belkin components such as PCMCIA wireless cards, USB wireless etc. I had this problem with one of my machines for a long time, with different wireless gizmo's ie USB or PCI cards. I've now (mostly) solved this particular problem with a new USB wireless stick on a long USB lead to get a better signal. In my case it might just be my PC is a bit crap with wireless but i'm finally moving this PC soon so hopefully it'll get a better signal away from the chimney breast. (All my other many PC's are rock solid on the wireless so i know it's either the signal on this one machine or it's just a machine whose motherboard chipset interferes with wireless or something.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Many routers, especially Netgear and at least the older Linksys, and probably the newer as well, are only designed to handle WAN (internet) speeds that were common at the time of their manufacture. ISPs upgrade speeds, often incrementally, which can overcome a router's ability to handle traffic. Sometimes a firmware update can fix this but it's usually a form of "planned obsolescence" so you have to buy a new router every few years. That's why I stick with Dlink or other semi-professional-grade products.

Another possibility is you or someone on your network is running a program that tries to open a crapload of ports. P2P software is notorious for this, and many routers do not handle it well, especially if you are running a lot of uploads/downloads or have it running on more than one PC.