1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet explorer hijacked

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tommy6, Apr 25, 2005.

1. tommy6

tommy6 Regular member

can anybody help when i use internet explorer with google or yahoo search engines no matter what i search for it comes back with dating and sex sites .tried system restore,found sex search site uninstalled that but couldnt delete file.when using google it starts with an old 2004 front page.any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

also scan for viruses.

maybe you should consider using firefox because most of the browser hijacks will not work atall on firefox as they were designerd for ie

4. tommy6

tommy6 Regular member

tried all of above links same search pages came up on firefox when i installed that very frustrating!!!

5. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

you have run a full scan with adaware and spybot?

if youve done that and the problem is still there then you got something pretty nasty by the sound of it.

also try scanning with adaware and spybot in safe mode (if you can) and run msconfig and in startup make sure that only the 100% necessary items are starting up - this should be 2 or 3 startup programs at max.

if its still there after that then if you really want rid of it your probably best off with a reinstall of windows unfortunately.

6. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Try using CWShredder to see if any of the coolwebsearch trojan variants are behind the hijacking....

http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

Improper removal of some malware (such as New.Net, WebHancer, etc.) may cause you to lose your internet connection. Some malware install a LSP (layered service provider) along your winsock, which gives you the internet connection. Download LSPfix first, then run any anti-spyware program. Here's the zipped file along with information on how to use it correctly if needed.

http://cexx.org/lspfix.zip

More information on this ultility and your winsock:

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

A nice program, Hijack This (version 1.99.1)can help you remove stubborn spyware. This utility scans at areas that spyware/adware/malware abuse, most likely to hijack your browser.

Download it here:
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Do not use the program while it's still in the zip folder. Unzip it and then run it. If possible, post your log results in this thread.

7. tommy6

tommy6 Regular member

thanks for all the help i recieved. but i still couldnt sort it.but i did manage to get firefox working by not importing internet explorer details. got yahoo working but not google,anyway ill try this for now and see how i get on. thanks again.

8. tommy6

tommy6 Regular member

anybody any ideas as to why i have been able to use yahoo uk and google ireland on int exp but not plain yahoo or google?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

could be security settings in internet options. i use www.mamma.com as my search engine