1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet looses connection when im on PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by sharptoo, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sharptoo

sharptoo Member

So when my wife is on the internet, playing a game or just surfing. It always looses its connection. Only when im trying to do something on the ps3 that involves the internet. Some time the PS3 looses it connection as well, like when im downloading something. I have tried the wifi and a lan line and both does the same thing. Do i need to set a port up or have a setting on the router in order for it not to drop connection.

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Does anyone use a cordless phone?

3. sharptoo

sharptoo Member

yea we have vonage and a cordless phone, its a 5.8ghz. but it not in use when this happens..

4. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Try turning UPNP on in your router's settings. This should take care of any conflicting ports.

5. sharptoo

sharptoo Member

UPNP is on...

6. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

What brand and model is the router, my friend had the same issue with his linksys.

7. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

I get that when my PS3 is too far from my router, when my signal is not strong enough, when something else is taking up my internet speed.

8. shanemb

shanemb Regular member

im right next to my f***ing router trying to update my ps3 and its f***ed i have 100% signal and it still cuts out

9. StilDeath

StilDeath Regular member

buy any chance is it a linksys? any ways i know with alot of routers when they demand to many connections in and out or a mix of both they just go stale ur internet works just ur router stops routing ive had the same problem with to linksys routers its a comman problem with different routers, also it may be bc ur "MTU" set to large or to small if its to large it will crash ur router and go stale n if its to small things like the ps3 and 360 need a high mtu packet size so it will also crash login to ur router should be on the first page u see

10. Iverson69

Iverson69 Member

I have Linksys and mine does this all the time.

When my PS3 first connects to the internet, my PC will disconnect and then reconnect to the internet.

It can also work vice versa, if I open something on my PC that is internet demanding (torrents, a game, etc.) it might cut off internet to my PS3 for a few seconds.

I have tried non-wireless on both PS3 and PC and it makes no difference.

Another thing, when my phone rings it can some times knock out my internet on all devices for ~2 seconds.

Annoying when you are in the middle of something but I have never found a way to fix this :S

11. sharptoo

sharptoo Member

yes its a Linksys. I will check out the mtu settings. It seems like no matter what i do, it will not work correctly. I have a WII that used wifi as well and no problems what so ever.

12. StilDeath

StilDeath Regular member

ya the ps3 will damand a larger mtu size bc of the graphics difference from the WII the only way i know around it is to buy a new router or to get an open source firmware for the router than can handle the connection damands , n if u get a new router look it up on the net and stuff its a common problem now adays with the damand from things we use specially when buying commercial stuff even with a good name like linksys.

13. StilDeath

StilDeath Regular member

oh n my MTU is set to 1400, by default it should be 1500 i had to back it down a bit it does the trick for my linksys router for the most part it still everyonce anwhile kicks out but not nearly as often as it use to. and my UPnP is DISABLED i found it kicks it out when it is enabled. hope it helps