1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Problem Windows/2000 Pro.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MedicFury, Dec 17, 2004.

1. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

My Cuz and I have spent many stupid hours trying to get this thing to work, it's a dell optiplex gx100. When I went into cmd prompt, ipconfig, sais i have ip and what not but when i click to start ie or firefox it wont do anything. Reinstalled w/2000 pro and still notta, i have tried reseting my modem by unplugging for about 1 min and still no luck....no fire wall to my knoledge, do i need to update drivers or what?! Please Help!
    Thanks (Medic)

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what type of internet are you using? dialup? dsl? first thing I would do after reinstalling 2k is to do ALL the updates, which will take a while. Then try. Those updates do a lot of networking fixes, as well as upgrade to IE6.

3. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

well, kinda hard to update it with out the internet, using cable modem...

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

lol...sorry. Must have had a brain fart. Your cable modem software seems to be operating properly, and says its connected, or are you using a router?

5. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

Directly from modem to computer...

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

so when you ping your computer in dos prompt, does it shoot back a "192.1.xxx" number? If so, thats not your IP number, thats the local address your computer is assigned. I don't know man, very puzzling. Unfortunately for something like this, it could be dozens of different things. Bad modem, bad cable, maybe the firmware on the modem needs to be upgraded? I've used my DSL modem and router with win2k and winXP for years and never had a problem like this. Sorry I can't be more of a help. Is your Dell still under warranty? Maybe they can troubleshoot for you, if you don't mind talking to India.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you configure ie for cable modem

8. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

djscoop, thanks for the effort in trying to help me, i know my modem and cable is good cuz when i hook my regular computer back up it works instantly.

ddp, yes i have configured ie to work with the cable and also firefox but still no luck... i have no idea what to do

9. ddp

are you using net card or usb. if netcard is it onboard or card. if onboard disable in bios & install card. if card possible to borrow working good card to determine if problem goes away or not. post results

10. ddp

are you using net card or usb. if netcard is it onboard or card. if onboard disable in bios & install card. if card possible to borrow working good card to determine if problem goes away or not. post results

11. ddp

12. MedicFury

MedicFury Member

It's onboard so i will try that in the bios and post back
    Thanks Medic