1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by abound, Jun 4, 2007.

1. abound

abound Member

Hi there i was wondering if anyone could please help me with a problem with my internet. I can get connected to the internet but after so long this message appears "A Network cable is unplugged" and i get disconnected from the internet. I also sometimes get another message saying "There is Limited or no Connectivity". I have searched about the internet and tried different things but can't find the solution. I have a modem set up that links to a wireless connection which uses a cross over wire to connect to the computer. So far i have replaced the wire, flushed my dns, used a programs called "SP2ConnectivityFix" and "WinsockxpFix", tried different Link Speeds/ Duplex Fix but I just keep getting these messages and disconnecting. Can anyone help me please?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is in between the modem & computer?

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Yes what router/switch/wireless router is it? linksys? model number?

4. cc207

cc207 Guest

CAN SOME1 hELP ME MY INTERNET IS SLOW WHEN I GOO ON A SITE LIKE NBA.COM OR SAY IF I WANTED TO go ON AUTOTRADER.COM IT WILL GO SLOW BUT IF I GO ON GOOGLE OR SITES LIKE hOTMAIL.COM IT WOULD GO FAST WHAT DO TO FIX THIS N MAKE MI INTERNET FASTER
    before my internet was fast now its slow

5. abound

abound Member

The modem connects to a wirless connection which is a Buffalo and that then connects to the computer.

6. ddp

the modem is connected to the buffalo by wire which connects to the computer wirelessly, correct?

7. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

@ cc207 not nice to hijack a post. please read what I posted for ya.

Abound
    try these...
    go into your device manager and see if you have any conflicts with your drivers.
    check your wireless settings make sure someone isn't hawking on your router!!!!
    if you can try running a cat5 cable direct to your router to see if you get the same issue.

8. abound

abound Member

Thanks man I'll try that. DdP i have a modem that connects to a wireless router which connects by a cross-over cable to my computer, the wireless is for my mums laptop. How do I see if someone is hawking on my router?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  9. ddp

abound, there is your problem as you don't use a crossover cable but a straight thru cable. i know as i made my cable.

10. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Abound just make sure you have your security enabled on your wireless router. If it is set at the defaults then anyone can access it and use your connection. There are several ways to set it up. Try this guide for doing it, it uses a linksys router as an example but all routers do the same thing (wired or wireless)they just have different looking admin pages:
    http://www.resnet.uci.edu/routersetup.asp

Also ddp is correct and I missed it. Use a straight thru cable between your computer and the router. Here's an illustration for you:
    http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/networking/Wiring_Tips/Wiring100TX/colorcodestandards.htm

@ddp I know have i have done the same thing, not paying attention to what I grabbed, then kicking myself for it later. Once spent 3 hours going insane trying to figure out why my connection was messed up!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  11. abound

abound Member

Thanks a lot everyone I'll get a new cable and try that, i had thought that might have been the problem but because a guy with quite a bit of knowledge set it up i didnt think so. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007