1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bikekid8, Sep 25, 2004.

1. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

I have recently had some problems with my computer. I use Mozilla Firefox for my internet (i have been for about a year now, and suddenly the internet has stopped working. I have a lan, and everybody else's is working. There is no internet at all, no aim, nothing. I have tried resetting up my internet connections, but they did not fix it. I am running Windows XP SP1 and when I try SP2 it screwes it up and i have to do a system restore, can anyone give me some ideas on what might have gon wrong?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi bikekid8, SP2 is only working in about 50% of the computers. If it screws up your PC, don't install it. Not everything new that Microsoft puts out is always good. I don't intend to install SP2 for at least 6 more months. Maybe not even then. My system is well protected so I'm not worried about SP2. Restore your system to get back your internet and leave it alone. Good luck.

Jerry

3. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

I did but it did not seem to work, lol i wish i had talked to you a couple of days ago, i first did a system restore, that got rid of it, then i unistalled it cuz it still wasnt gone, but it still isnt working, by the way, for anyone who uninstalls sp2 beware, because it gets rid of all of your drivers and your xp has to reload them all, and you might have to get out all of your driver disks and spent that enjoyable time installing all of your driver again. so if the system restore gets your computer back to running, dont worry aobut some of the files left on your computer because you will end up with more of a mess and it is not worth taking the name sp2 off of the add/remove programs list. there is a website in one of the threads somewhere, that gives a link to a page that microsoft made that tells the different ways to uninstall the sp2, it says to do them in that order, but it is the add/remove programs is the first one on the list, and not my personal choice, as you already read :), thanks for all the help! talk to you all later!

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I was told that somewhere in the SP2 setup that you can save your old settings just in case you want to uninstall it. I don't know if this is true or not since I never installed it. Like your problem, I hear many stories about systems it messed up needing a complete reinstall of XP. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jerry