1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mowner, Feb 26, 2005.

1. mowner

mowner Guest

hi all

i have a ADSL internet connection wich uses a modem
    i bought a router ( ASUS WL-500g) so my bro can have internet too.. but im not using the wireless.
    I connected the ethernet cable from my modem to "WAN" port on the router. then i connected another ethernet cable from my computer to "LAN1" on the router. i conected another ethernet cable from my bro's computer to "LAN2" port in the router.
    I use an username and password for the internet..
    this procedure worked b4 but now it doesint whenever i try to connect it hangs on "Connecting to WAN miniport" then after it tries to redial.. can u please tell me where is the problem?
    my bro cant connect too..
    So i connected the ethernet cable from the modem direcly to my computer to acess internet and ask for ur help. Thnx a lot all!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It's called dual firewalls. If for example you try to connect to windows update and it hangs or locks out on you, it's a dual firewall problem. Check with your wireless router manufacturer and ask how to make it just a switch and also an access point. It should go something like this and will also take care of your problems, and still give you wireless:

Example only:

To Configure the Wireless Router

Do not connect the wireless router to your network yet, as it may have the same IP address as your other router.

Connect to the wireless router, turn off its DHCP server, and give the wireless router an assigned IP address on your LAN:

Connect a PC directly to the wireless router.
    Reboot the PC.
    Log in to the wireless router (usually at 192.168.0.1, with User Name = admin and Password = password).
    Go to the LAN IP menu and disable DHCP by un-checking Use router as DHCP server.
    Select LAN IP, and change the IP address to 192.168.0.99.
    Click Apply to save the settings. (You lose the connection to the router since its IP address changed.)
    Connect one of the wireless router's Local (LAN) ports to your existing network.

[bold]Do not make any connection to the wireless router's Internet (WAN) port or (DSL port) any longer. Just use the LAN ports for all connections including the one from your DSL modem.[/bold]

This completes the access point configuration. You can now log in to the wireless router at its new IP address of 192.168.0.99 and configure features such as WEP and Access Control List.

3. mowner

mowner Guest

ahh thnx a lot man. i just connected my adsl modem and the 2 computer to LAN PORTS and it works like a charm. thnx a lot again

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

So it's good news then...

Glad I could help... :)