1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gringer, Sep 9, 2007.

1. gringer

gringer Member

Hi,

I have one pc at home connected to Telstra ADSL. I have two other pcs which I want to share this connection with. Can anybody advise the best way to make this possible? One of the other pcs is a considerable distance away. Would wireless be the best option? If so, what hardware would I need to buy and is it fairly straight forward to configure the network? Also, can a printer be plugged into the router (wireless or not) and shared between the 3 pcs?

Thanks! :D

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I recently set up a customer's house with a WLAN router, it allows him to connect his two main PCs with CAT5 wired connections (this allows 100mb files transfers between these 2 systems), it also allows him to use his laptop anywhere in his rather large house, and even his girlfriends laptop can get on at the same time. He is very happy with the performance of the WLAN internet, and has had no complaints about anything. Also, he is only using one external IP address from the cable company.

Please note: some routers allow you to use two or more IP adresses from a single internet connection (call your high speed provider, they should be able to get you a second or even third IP address, my cable company even lets me rent a static IP)...This is very handy for some programs that are purly IP based, and not MAC address based (for example, if you and someone else in your house are both playing GTASA multiplayer from only one external IP, through a normal router, you will experience glitches as both PCs will be seen as one player by the server). Also, if you run a web server, you would want an independant external IP for security reasons.

...If all you do is surf the web, and you don't run a server or use beta/experimental software, then you don't need to spend the extra $ following the advice in the above paragraph...Just the top one.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  3. gringer

gringer Member

Thanks for the effort in that reply, however I'm still left wondering about all the original questions I asked.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So you're happy to go wireless or wired? Wired always gives a better connection, even if you're very close. If you're a considerable distance from the source, wired is much preferable. If it's got to be wireless, considering getting a high gain antenna for your wireless receiver. (above +10dB)
    As for the printer, I'm not sure, never done it, but sharing an internet connection is quite simple. Right click on whatever network connection in your Network connections window (found from control panel) gives you your internet connection, then go 'share this internet connection' and choose the network connection to share it over, e.g. Local Area connection for wired or Wireless Network connection for Wireless.
    Hope that helps

5. gringer

gringer Member

Thank you very much. I think wired will be the way to go.

Cheers :D