1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet shutoff when computer idle

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Jalathole, May 11, 2007.

1. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

hello my internet shuts off when ever i leave my computer idle. this is annoying as i like to download over night and now it won't let me ever since i reinstalled windows again.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

are you on a broadband or dialup connection? it shouldnt really matter though. just go to the device manager, find your network adapter or dialup modem, go into it's properties and untick the box that says 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. I think that might be your problem.

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

If you are on dialup, the modem's default settings are to shut off your connection after 20 minutes of idle time. Even if you're on the net and reading a page...

Also, dialup providers themselves may have a limited time you're allowed on the net with a connection. Just because they say you have 'unlimited' connections, doesn't imply that you can stay on it for an extended period of time.