1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet usage

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by RicDra, Oct 3, 2013.

1. RicDra

RicDra Newbie

I recently went from XP and Office 2003 to Windows 7 and Office 2007 + a new laptop and a new printer both HP. My internet usage went suddenly from approx. 13Kb average per month to sometimes as much as 13Kb per day up to 110 Kb per last month without changing anything regarding my day to day operation..My wife and I are alone using each an ipad on wifi maybe 1 hr per day. I'm the only one using my laptop at home..no video streaming..no change from the previous practice with my previous laptop.
    All the admin.access codes connected with my internet account have been changed and spyware checks done.The NetMeter Evo installed recently shows 300 to 400 KiB/S when my computer is open running on WiFi.
    My internet provider has my previous 12 months' history and agrees that this isn't possible. The Meter according to my internet provider should not read above 100 KioB/s but hasn't been able to find the reason why
    Of course my internet provider wants to charge me extra over 60 Kb per month and or 30$ more monthly for unlimited Can anyone help

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Maybe i'm reading it wrong because you've typed it wrong,your using under 1 mega byte per month & that's a problem ?

just the ethernet keeping a handshake will chew 1mb,you just being here chewed at minimum 200Kb & was more like 300Kb

Updates in the background to security software let alone security application updates will be in mega bytes then you have microsoft updates which can be from 0-300mb

Nup start again whats your cap before you get charged extra for going over it,everything you view on the internet gets downloaded to your hard drive no exceptions unless you are running a live cd,either way it is all data being used up,information travels both ways the moment you hit enter on a web page to search or click a link,this information is transferred as kb or a better word would be data,the data is read by your isp & calculates the amount which gets deducted from your monthly data allowance,if your on broadband you should have at the minimum 1gb tho 3-5gb would be better

8 Bits = 1 Byte
    1024 Bytes = 1 KiloByte
    1024 KiloBytes = 1 MegaByte
    1024 MegaBytes = 1 GigaByte
    1024 GigaBytes = 1 TeraByte