1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interpretation: Unrecovered Read Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dj928, Jun 3, 2007.

1. dj928

dj928 Member

I posted for assistance elsewhere on this website and the problem remains unsolved, so I am bringing it here for help.

I use DVDFab Decrypt, FixVTS, Shrink, ImgBurn. Every time I do, I get an error message during the verify process:

Scsi status: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check condition
    CDB: 28 00 00 03 B6 20 00 00 01 00
    Interpretation: Read(10) - Sector: 243232
    Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 03 04 05
    Interpretation: Unrecovered Read Error

Cancel Try Again Continue

If I uncheck the verify process, it gives the successful burn message. I have slowed the burn speed to 3x and 2.4x. Doesn't make a difference. When I watch the movie, it freezes or hiccups at random times within. I get the error message during verify every time. I've tried saving the file to hard drive and then opening Imgburn manually to burn it rather than having DVD Shrink do it, but it doesn't help. My discs are TY and I have the latest version of DVDFab. I also have the latest driver for my DVD-RW drive.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

What's the make, model & firmware version of the drive?

What rated speed are the TY's?

3. dj928

dj928 Member

Philips DVD8631 and the last time I updated it was a few months ago with whatever the latest version that was available. I don't know how to check that, because when I check under properties it always says Microsoft 2001 for all hardware no matter when I update it.

I also don't know how to check the TY speed, but I believe it was advertised as 8x when I bought it. If not, it was definitely at least 4x.

If you know how to get better info for my system, please let me know.

Thanks.

4. binkie7

This drive is a bit on the older side. May just be time to get a new one - this one might be going south.

You might have the latest firmware. The last update was in 6/05 - GD30.
    To see if you do open ImgBurn and go to tools>drive>check for firmware update. You'll get a popup saying which version you have. It will then take you to the firmware page to see if there is a newer one.

Other things to try to see if the drive is on the way out:
    *Try another media? May have a bad batch of TY's.
    *Use a dvd lens cleaner or blow some canned air in the drive to try and clean off the lens.
    *Have another pc you can try it in?

5. dj928

dj928 Member

I do have GD30 firmware. I have about 150 of these TY discs left. :) I don't have problems with this drive burning anything else except when using the listed programs for movies.

I am not sure if my laptop has a DVD burner or just a CD burner. I can try that. Thanks.

6. binkie7

Post back the make and model of the drive in the laptop - that will tell us if it burns dvd's or just cd's.

Double click on 'my computer'. Is the drive listed as 'dvd-rw drive'?
    Then right click on it pick properties>hardware tab. The make and model will be listed there.

Try playing back one of the movies that you used these programs on from the hard drive. See if you have any of the same playback problems there.

So you've burned like data discs and there's no verification errors?

Here's some more suggestions - if you haven't recently do a disc defrag. disc cleanup, run a registry cleaner and virus scan.
    If you need a registry cleaner here's a good free one - ccleaner. Use the issues and cleaner options. It does a better disc cleanup imho than the windows utility.

7. dj928

dj928 Member

On my computer (laptop) it just lists it as a CD Drive, but when going to hardware under properties it lists it as a NEC DVD+_RW ND-6650A.

I play my movies on regular home theater DVD players (3 of them), and the freezing and hiccups occurs on them after this burning process. No problems with data CD burning from this drive (desktop computer where I am getting the verify errors). I've never tried verifying the data CDs, as I just use windows to drag and drop files or make music CDs, and there is no verify option I am aware of there.

Do you know why it would give a successful burn message and then give that error during verify? What does that mean?

I do regular defrag, virus, disc cleanup (windows) and spybot on all of my computers, but I don't think that includes the registry cleanup does it?

Thanks.

8. binkie7

No that doesn't include a registry cleaning - may not help but good to do. Clears out all the clutter left behind my programs - uninstalling/installing.

You do have a dvd burner in the laptop. So try doing a movie with it using these discs.
    Dell alptop? The latest firmware for this drive is 103D.

CD's a little different than dvd's - usually the dvd part goes 1st on the drive but not always.

Do you have any of the movies you ripped still on the hard drive?
    If you do try playing it straight from the hard drive and see if any problems.

A verification matches up what burned to the files on your hard drive.
    So it may have burned ok but something might have went amiss in the burn process reason they are not matching now and you're getting the failed verification errors and spotty playback.

9. dj928

dj928 Member

Binkie - you've been a great help! :)

It's looking like the problem may be with the other computer's drive - even though it was able to burn other successful discs (not movies). I tried it on my laptop and got a successful burn and verify. Do you have any recommendations on a low cost DVD drive replacement for my desktop that works well for this purpose?

Also, I have Nero7 but have never tried to use it with shrink and decrypter. Do you recommend it over Imageburn?

Do you think VixVTS is a vital part of this process?

Thanks again.

10. binkie7

You're very welcome dj928!

Good drives to look at are LiteOn and Pioneer. I use both and they'll done well by me over the years.
    If you're in the US check out newegg for some good prices.

Using Nero 7 over ImgBurn is just a preference to burn. I like both. I do prefer ImgBurn over Nero for dual layer burning.
    nero comes with things that ImgBurn doesn't have like Vision to convert avi's, wmv to a dvd compliant format and Recode which can be used instead of Shrink (just remove the copy protection 1st w/ DVDFab).

FixVTS is a bad idea either - running the files thru that only take a few minutes. It removes the useless junk cells and gives you a cleaner file.