1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

intervideo dvdcopy audio question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by johnnib, Mar 19, 2004.

1. johnnib

johnnib Member

I have started using the above to backup my dvd's but when i get to the point where i select my audio all i ever see in there are three or so selections and all say 'English united states' so i have no idea which is 2 channel, dts or 5.1 .
    Has anybody any ideas on this?
    please
    cheers

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

A good rule of thumb:

5.1 is the Main Movie Soundtrack....
    dts is an alternative Soundtrack....
    2 channel will almost always be something like directors commentary...

Just keep the 5.1 track

Byeeeee....

3. johnnib

johnnib Member

jesus man !!!! i know that but which is which, read my post again....d aaaaaaaaaaa

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

Johnnib

Ever thought about removing unwanted soundtracks in dvdshrink PRIOR to running through Intervideo?

5. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

johnnib
    I know how you feel man... this is the way I do it:

1)Use Titleset Blanker to get rid of extras.

2)Then run DVD Shrink and use "No Compression" to save to HD but do get rid of extra audio.

6. johnnib

johnnib Member

COOL CHEERS. ALLTHOUGH I HAVE JUST RIPPED STAR WARS EPISODE 2 AND IT HAS ONLY COPIED 5.1 ACROSS (WHICH IS COOL)ALL I DID WAS OPENED THE DROP DOWN MENU AND CHOSE THE TOP ONE, SO EITHER THE TOP WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST OR IT IS SELECTIVE.
    ONE THING WEIRD I HAVE NOTICED THOUGH IS THAT THE FINISHED SIZE VARIES, I RIPPED SWII TWICE AND THE FINISHED SIZE WAS FIRST 3.6GB AND THE SECOND 3.85GB YET IT IS SET TO USE 4.7, HAVE YOU COME ACROSS THIS?
    ILL HAVE A LOOK SEE IF THERE ARE ANY POSTS ABOUT THIS OR START A NEW THREAD.
    INCIDENTLY INTERVIDEO'S SITE IS POOR ON THE HELP SIDE OF THINGS AND HASNT SET UP ITS OWN FORUM.STILL SUPERB SOFTWARE THOUGH AND YOU CANT HAVE EVERYTHING!BUT IT WOULD BE NICE.

7. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

No, I've never had that problem before.

If you are ripping to HD with DVD Decrypter, check the size of the folder on HD... it has to be somewhere around 7 gigs with all extras. If on the other hand the ripped folder is only 4.3 then you would't even need to compress anything and hence the 3.6 gig endind result.

Good luck

8. johnnib

johnnib Member

i think i have figured out what is happening. It appears that if i tell dvdcopy to remove various scenes and audio it removes them after it has ripped the whole dvd down to 4.7gb. To check this i removed unwanted audio first with shrink to trick dvdcopy into thinking it was still the full dvd and it made a perfect 4.7 or 4.34 whichever way you look at it. so to prove it i then removed some unwanted extras out with dvdcopy and calculated there size myself(about .75gb) and the finished size was about 4gb so proving my theory. This is really weird as if dvdcopy took these out first there finished product would be even better.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

This audio issue has been addressed in ver. 2. The choices for audio in ver. 1.X where very limited as you noticed.

10. johnnib

johnnib Member

MysticE
    Agreed to an extent, i have just downloaded dvdcopy 2 on trial, however it doesnt deferentciate between the different audio if one is directors comments and both are 5.1 AC3. So i think the bext way is run through shrink instead of decryptor to your hard drive and remove audio and subtitles this way, then run through dvdcopy.Have you had the same problem with different finished dvd sizes? if so the above seems to get round this as well,well it does unless you then remove scenes with dvdcopy as you will then be short of the 4.7gb size by whatever size your scene was.

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Hey john,
    Some good observations. I haven't tried ver. 2. Hitting the target disc size is something programs have struggled with at one time ( Shrink, InstantCopy). The first times I tried Recode 1 I was pleasantly surprised to see it always hit 4.36G (but on a large DVD the results were pretty horrible, much improved though with Recode 2).

What you say about using Shrink first makes perfect sense, but for a relatively expensive program, Intervideo will have to address these issues to eliminate the need for extra steps with other programs.

Although I like the vid quality, I find InstantCopy 8 to be a more mature and versatile program. Much more of a one-click solution (especially with AnyDVD) with great vid quality (although it is slow). Currently being offered for $29 it's also a great deal.

I recently tried InterVideo's merge function, M Video, and ended up with a goofy, unreadable 2 choice menu, instead of a seamless movie. Unacceptable for me.

To sum it up InterVideo has to improve quite a few things to make the program more of a one-click solution to justify it's high price.

12. johnnib

johnnib Member

MysticE...
    OK just tried instantcopy8 against intervideo dvdcopy2 and dvdcopy 2 came out just slightly on top, that was a 7.65gb disk (28 days later)which for both programs i had stripped the unwanted subs and audio to keep the test fair.So what i have done now is emailed intervideo to see if they can answer the questions i have regarding finish size,audio and sub stripping as because of the speed and quality of this program i would rather use this. Incidently it took dvdcopy 20mins to rip and instantcopy around 3 hours on high quality setting. I will keep you informed if you like ?
    p.s its stew, johnnib is short for johnnibravo (my nickname) :))