1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INTERVIDEO DVDCOPY...Best program to backup DVD's!

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Slumpey, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Slumpey

Slumpey Guest

I've tried numerous programs and found that Intervideo DVDCopy v1.2 is the best at backing up DVD's. It can back up DVD-9 DVD's to DVD-5 DVD-/+R's without sacrificing any quality. NO transcoding involved when compressing 8-10 GB to 4.5 GB. It's amazing what it can do without transcoding. Plus it can convert DVD's to VCD, SVCD, DivX, and M-DVD.

NOTE:
    This program does NOT allow you to backup CSS-encrypted DVD's, but there are ways...

OTHER NOTABLE PROGRAMS I TRIED:
    CloneDVD v1.3.11.2
    DVD2ONE v1.3
    DVDShrink v3.0 beta 5

WORST PROGRAM I TRIED:
    DVDXCopy Xpress/Platinum v3.21

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2003
  2. Wild0ne

Wild0ne Member

Have to agree 100% Slumpey - I use this programme exclusively too - but I have to disagree about dvd9 to dvd5- it wont compress - but it will copy to multiple disks if its over 4.45gb.
    I use dvd2one "movie only" to compress to 4.45 and copy to one disk. Go over that and you'll loose the last one or two chapters.

3. Slumpey

Slumpey Guest

Do you have the latest copy of Intervideo DVDCopy?

I ask because the version I use lets you compress a DVD-9 DVD down to a DVD-5 DVD-/+R. Again, there is NO loss of quality.

4. Wild0ne

Wild0ne Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I dunno , I got ver 1.0.0.28- is there a new version ?
    I'll check it out
    Thx slumpy

5. Slumpey

Slumpey Guest

v1.2 is the newest. (You can download the newest version from www.intervideo.com and update it over your version)

That is why you probably can't backup a DVD-9 to a DVD-5 DVD-/+R. With the newest version, you can.

Check around the net for you can find v1.2 online. In order to backup commercial DVD's (CSS Encryption), you will also need either "DVD Region-Free" or "AnyDVD". Both of these programs will allow you to bypass the copyright protection.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2003
  6. Wild0ne

Wild0ne Member

HAHA thx for the info slumpy - but I already know how to rip & burn - I have approx 130 dvds in my collection already.

I'm d/loading ver 1.2 as I type from intervideo now. I'm keen to see if there is no loss of quality as they claim as it would save me time not using dvd2one to compress.

7. Slumpey

Slumpey Guest

How is DVD2ONE?
    Do you burn just the movie or eveything?
    Do you use DVD Decrypter first to rip it?

I read numerous posts saying that DVD2ONE is a really good backup program. Some say it is better than DVDShrink v3.0 beta 5.

I have been extremely pleased so far with Intervideo DVDCopy and unless something comes up, I'm gonna stick with it.

Let me know how your luck is with Intervideo DVDCopy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2003
  8. Wild0ne

Wild0ne Member

Hey Slumpy - cant say ths enuff - the new version of dvdcopy platinum is fantastic - I dont need to use dvd2one anymore - will save me at least 45 mins per disc. With DVD2one you can compress either the whole disc or just the movie - dvdcopy does the same thing.

How i do it now is deCSS the movie to HD with dvddecrypter (found it better than smartripper speshully when the disc is scratched) then copy the movie files only to C:\video_ts then launch dvdcopy straight from there and burn the disc. Takes me about 30-40 mins per disc total.

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I am one of those that thinks it's better than DVD Shrink , although I have DVD Shrink for certain things...

DVD Decrypter is well worth keeping hold of , cos as said it copes well with read errors that might otherwise cause different progs a problem.

P.S. http://www.warezbb.org doesnt exist !!

herbs.

10. herbsman

You're right it is now up , although the page loads very slowly.

I dont trust anysite that makes you have to register before 'reading' the forum boards.
    I understand registry for posting , but just to read...hhmmm

11. pantomime

pantomime Member

Are you guys all using Windows 2k or XP?

'coz on my Win98SE, DVDCopy (1.2B001.13C00 platinum) seem to be neither working with the decrypted files in C:\VIDEO_TS, nor working with RegionFree 3.21 for those CSS DVDs. Yet those non-protected discs could be ripped directly from the DVD-ROM.

12. herbsman

@ pantomime

Using WinXP (Pro)

With Win98se you'll have problems with anything that's over 4Gb !!

13. pantomime

pantomime Member

Thanks, herbsman.

I know the 4Gb limitation though.

Here's what I've tried for a CSS DVD:

1. Rip everything from the DVD using the File Mode of DVD Decrypter v3.1.6.0 into C:\DVD_TITLE\VIDEO_TS\
    That was successful.

2. Test playing the ripped content by dragging C:\DVD_TITLE\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO into WinDVD3.
    That was successful, too.

3. Launch DVDCopy (1.2B001.13C00 platinum) and select the Source folder as C:\DVD_TITLE\VIDEO_TS\
    This one failed as DVDCopy keep reporting the message
    "This location does not contain supported content. Please try another location!"

Yet for those non-CSS DVDs, I've been successfully copying them by directly pointing the DVDCopy Source folder to the DVD-ROM drive even in Wind98SE.

So I wonder if that's something wrong with my Win98SE as DVDCopy's system requirement is Win 2K or XP.

Yet before spending those lengthy (installation time) costy (software price) and painful (drivers and patches searching) efforts to install XP, I just wanna be sure that the message
    "This location does not contain supported content. Please try another location!" will not show up again when I redo step 1 to 3 above in a Windows XP environment.

So has anyone ever done step 1 to 3 above successfully in Win XP or 2K?

14. pantomime

pantomime Member

BTW, with Pinnacle Instant Copy 8 and Super DVD Ripper 1.90, they all handled the ripped content in C:\DVD_TITLE\VIDEO_TS\ quite well. The only problem is that these 2 pieces of software did not matched the speed and output quality of DVDCopy!

15. herbsman

have you re-formatted your HDD(s) to NTFS ?

16. pantomime

pantomime Member

Nope, I'm using FAT32 of Win98SE. So are you using XP pro with NTFS?

17. herbsman

yes !!

I think if you format to NTFS you'll have fewer problems in general mate ...