1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intervideo windvd creator discussion :pros and cons

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by tralfuz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. tralfuz

tralfuz Member

I first used creator 2 a couple years ago when it came with gizmo. I liked the overall design of it and ease of editing. However, I've had limited success in actually creating dvds. I've spent days on some project, only to give up in frustration and not look at it for months. So now the files got corrupted and I'm contemplating buying creator 3. I've been using the demo with some limited success, but rarely seem to be able to get a nice and tidy dvd out of it. And for every one I get, it seems like I spend 10 or more hours making coasters, searching online for help or trying different demos or programs that only confuse me more.

Does anyone find this program easy and convenient? Am I still climbing the hill on the learning curve and will soon love the program?

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

do you work for/with Intervideo ?

the post leans that way

3. tralfuz

tralfuz Member

Uhhh, nope.

I'm frustrated using it and trying to find out if there are people who actually find it easy to use. I've collected dozens of encoding/authoring freebies and demos, but I don't use them because they are over my head. I'm old and tired of learning how to new use programs, I just want one program that encodes, makes a menu and burns. I'm just asking for advice.

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

5. tralfuz

tralfuz Member

I'm not looking to backup commercial dvds. I'm currently working with avi and mpg files. I also just got a dvr and am putting home movies or old vhs recordings on dvd. This is why I am interested in editing, not cloning.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

7. varnull

varnull Guest

here is another freeware one I don't think I have ever seen anybody mention.

DVDStyler is a cross-platform DVD authoring application that makes possible for video enthusiasts to create professional-looking DVDs.
    It is Free software distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good one Jan ^^^

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Always up for free tools.. The linux one works a treat (after the usual write permissions hassles) Do you fancy trying the windows version and reporting back on how usable (or otherwise) it is?
    It does allow the addition of subtitles, and all kinds of customisation.. I think it needs a more expert hand than most windows "one click" authoring tools ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

sure i will look into it but i don't transfer many avi etc. files

11. varnull

varnull Guest

Rotary is trying it out. He does loads so we will see if it's within the comprehension of the above average skill dvd maker.

There is a really clear and well written guide here http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8413 which saves me the trouble of doing all the work. Ignore the first bit about kino.. avidemux does exactly the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

cool lets us know how it works out Rotary

13. tralfuz

tralfuz Member

Ok, so I've already used DVDStyler 3 times, failed each time. Don't know why. I can get DVDFlick to burn 1 file onto a dvd, but it gets confused if I use 2 avi files that have different frame rates or dimensions. DVDFlick doesn't recognize my burner, so I need to use something like Nero to burn the files. If I want to edit the files (cut them up into little pieces and rearrange them) I need an avi editor like virtualdubmod or avitricks, for mpg I need something like TMPGEnc. If I've got vob files, I have to convert them or use vobchopper.

Or

Intervideo Windvd Creator.

I've already spent (40? 60? 13000? hours) with the first collection and have few dvds to show for it (and lots of confusion and coasters). On the other hand I have sweet nostalgic memories of Windvd Creator, even though it had about the same failure rate. It's friendly, nice looking, smart and funny. The other programs sit and glare at me, laughing behind my back and plotting against me. And I don't understand what they say.

Maybe I'm living in a fantasy, Intervideo Windvd Creator is just as nasty and moody as the others, but hides behind a good looking facade.

Has anyone used it?

14. bigboipuf

bigboipuf Member

I've been using windvd creator for years now and I find it very easy to use. I've taught quite a few people including mom how to use it.