1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invaild DVD Structure -- Please Help !

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by katchris, Dec 18, 2004.

1. katchris

katchris Member

Ok ,
    I have a ASUS DRW-0804P Burner (i think). I have been burning dvds of a little while and now have come across several problems. I bought a gift box thingy of fishing videos (Fishing WA Series) and i want to back them up. Only when i put them in i get a message saying DVD Shrink encounted a error and cannot continue. Invaild DVD Navigation Stucture. By the way i can copy other videos i have brought from the Video store ok. Its just this set.

Well that is the first major one.
    The other is :
    When i copy a normal DVD it goes through the open disc and then i click back up after it has finished doing its thing. The problem is that when it coms turn to insect the blank cd it tells me that the drive does not support this disc type. In the box where it comes up "checking disc" it asks me for a DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW. See the thing is that i am inserting a DVD-R and that is the one it rejects. The DVD+R is ok and burns fine. Is there any way i can get it to burn on to these disc? ( Just bought 100's of them and dont want them to go the waste )

Cheers guys !!!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

What media are you using? You may want to see if the firmware needs upgrading. From the specs, your burner handles + and - R/RW media.

On the movies try decrypting with DVD Decrypter. If Decrypter will rip to the HD, try Shrink then. If not, try another app to see if it is just Shrink. A number of recording programs have lengthy trials.

3. katchris

katchris Member

Ok so how do i check to see if the firmware needs updating? And what do you mean by media? the disc type? Sorry i am need to all these terms. Where can i find the specs?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

The company that made the drive should have a website and the support section should list firmware. Check to see if you drive needs firmware. Only firmware listed for a particular model is usable for that mode.

What is the brand of the disc and what is it, + or -R or RW.

5. katchris

katchris Member

sorry took so long trying to down load the firmware updates but having trouble there. Will let you know if i have any luck.

Anyway the discs i am trying to burn on to are DVD-R 4X Xlogic

6. colw

colw Active member

I would be very wary of the media you are attempting to use (Xlogic) - never seen or heard of it before.

If you can burn OK with + format, I would stick with this format initially and then experiement with some better quality - media.

Seems like you may be located in Australia - I've had good results with Laser (AZO) in both - and + formats.

7. katchris

katchris Member

Yes, i am in Australia. But i need to be able to use these discs i have heaps of them. Is there something i can do to make them burn. Please help. Desperate.
    Cheers

8. colw

colw Active member

Firmware update may help - if this does not work console yourself with the fact that you have an extensive set of beer coasters.

It is always best to test with a variety of media to test what works prior to commitment/investment.

Different brand burners and players tend to react to media differenty - however, good quality, reliable media is an important key to successful burning.

For your other problem, you could try DVD Shrink in the re-author mode or try ripping with DVD Decrypter and then running through Shrink.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

colw,
    I see you agree with me on the use of DVD Decrypter with DVD Shrink. It's in the guide.

@katchris
    Shrink and Decrypter are good no cost freeware and do a good job. Interactive guides for a virtual tour can be found at http://www.dvdshrink.info .

I agree with colw on the media being used, it is suspect. That's why I asked about the media in my first post. Normally, a drive won't refuse to burn a format it is setup for. That goes to the firmware I mentioned in the beginning.

A simple way to solve your problem is to try another brand of media in the same format. Preferrably, you have a friend who has some -R DVDs you can have one of that is working in their PC (hopefully a known brand). If you're not that lucky, head down to the local shop and buy the smallest quantity possible of a name brand media; i.e. Sony, Verbatim, Maxell, Ritek, Fuji, Imation, TDK... you get the idea I'm sure.

On the firmware, it shouldn't be that big a deal. You go by the model and sometimes the serial number of the drive. You select the firmware for your drive and follow the instructions. I don't even have the drive and I found it with no problem at the Asus site. http://www.asus.com/support/download/download2.aspx?item=DRW-0804P&type=like&file_type=Latest Just use the download that corresponds to your operating system, XP or whatever.

Perhaps the firmware will help, otherwise the only thing that may write to one of those discs is an engraving tool. A simple check with the XLogic media would be to try them in another burner drive and see if they work. Here again a friend with a burner would be handy. If not, maybe the shop where you buy your equipment could be of help.

Not all media will work in all drives, I'd say Asus probably has a disclaimer somewhere on their site saying what media was tested and will work in their drives. They don't list everything that will work, as most name brands are compatible with most drives. They have to meet certain standards. It's those no name brands that sometimes fall through the cracks. I get the feeling sometimes that everyone in Taiwan is making DVDs in the back room.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004