1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid DVD navigation Structure - Asian MovieBUp - Help Pls

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ronnieR, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ronnieR

ronnieR Guest

I have some cheap movies from Asia which I wish to back up. With movies I have purchased here in Australia I haven't had a single problem and normally use DVD shrink then DVD clone.

Unfortunately if I use DVD Shrink (current version or previous) I get the error "Invalid DVD navigation Structure". If I try "reauthoring" the movie it shows the main movie file in the browser to be only 25kb??

For those movies which are small enough I tried using DVD Decryter which will write the files to my hard drive but it saves the file type as an unknown filename extension which will not play as a movie nor burn to media.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to how I could back these movies up!

Sorry if i've posted this in the incorect forum but I I had posted it in the newbies section and not had any response!

2. ronnieR

ronnieR Guest

PS The invalid file types created by DVD Decryter are IOO and IO1 filename extensions. Can anyone suggest how to change these into ISO's or a burnable image??

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you are running on fat32 file system ( maybe win98se perhaps) so DVD Decrypter should leave a .MDS file [which should be about 4Gb]...just burn that w/ DVD Decrypter in ISO Write mode.

The fat32 file system has problems with anything over 4GB , so either a format of your HDD + change to NTFS file system [bold]or[/bold] even update to WinXP.

4. ronnieR

ronnieR Guest

You are correct (ie re fat, W98se mds file) unfortunately the .mds file is only 5 KB's not G's?? The IOO & IO1 files are the more inline with correct file size of over 4G & 1 G. So i'm assuming this won't work?

I didn't think I could convert Win98 to an NTFS sys? Unfortunately i'm not in the market to purchase an XP OS - would Win2K prof give the same result?

After successfully backing up over 100 movies (including backing up backups successfully) this is the first problem I have encountered - do u really think it's my O/S though?

Thanks again for your input.

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Win2k should do you fine , like I previously stated though ... you wanna run NTFS (and dunno if 98se would let you...been a bloody long time since I had it & stepped upto XP Pro so as to not have any DVD problems).

6. happynow

happynow Guest

Hi, I only read quickly what you put but try this.
    Use Decrypter to rip movie only to hard drive in IFO mode. You should have 4 or 5 .vob files plus 2 .ifo and 2 .bup files. If this is what's there, then use shrink as normal (if they are over 4.38gig).
    NOW
    If I read correctly the ifo files are not there but io1 or something simular is. Delete these files leaving just the 4 or 5 .vob files.
    Download a proggy called
    IFO edit (free download)here: http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/Ifoedit096 [add .zip to ending]
    Open IFO edit, then at the bottom right you will see a button highlighted saying "create ifo's" click this and point to the .vob files that decrypter created (only needs the first one, it auto does all of them in sequence). It will now create the needed .ifo and .bup files.
    When it is finished use Shrink as you would normaly, DVD navigation should now be fixed.
    Hope this is what you were after. If not sorry no other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2004