1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid DVD navigation structure??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shooter, Jun 19, 2004.

1. shooter

shooter Member

Does anyone know what this means? This is the first disk I have had, that has popped up this error. I thought the disk might be defective, so I returned it for a different one. (They are both used disks, I bought them previously viewed.) But I cleaned them, and looked at both under a 6X glass, and I can not SEE any flaws on the disks. No scratches, prints I missed, etc. And this is the kicker, this is a two sided disk. One side is wide screen, one is full screen. And both of them pop up this same error when I try to use DVD Shrink, and DVD43 to decrypt it. On BOTH disks.
    (DVD Shrink encountered an error and can not continue).
    “Invalid DVD navigation structure”
    I ran a search on it on this site, and all I found was references to this code when it came to WRITING the disk. In my case, I can not even get Shrink to analyze it, as soon as I open Shrink, I get the above error.
    I tried ripping it with DVD Decryptor, and it worked, however it will not burn after that. It gives a error code that it can not read a certain file. (It does not matter which one it is, because it changes each time I do it.<LAUGH> One to the next..no logic to it at all).
    The movie is the “The Mask” with Jim Carrey, I don’t know if anyone else has had a problem backing up that DVD or not? I ran a search on that as well, but it showed nothing at all.
    The DVD will play on both my computer, and on my set top, but Shrink will just not open it. USUALLY if I get one Shrink wont work on, I use DvD Decryptor, rip it to files, and then open the files with shrink, and re-encode them with that, shrinking it down so it will all fit on one DVD. But that wont work in this case either. Any ideas?
    I use ONLY GO4 media, and a Pioneer 107 burner which is new, but I have burned probably 25 dvds with it so far with no problems. (Not that it matters, because I never get to the “burn stage” with this back up anyway.)
    Thanks in advance for any ideas you can pass along. :)
    Shooter===>>

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What movie is it?

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I had the same problem with this particular movie. I never did get it to rip. You might try opening the files in Ifoedit and see if you can correct the ifos. Open your VTS_01_0.IFO then select "VOB extras". Just untick the box that says create new IFOs, leave the rest checked.
    After that finishes, "Get VTS Sectors" and Save.

Who knows, it might work!

4. shooter

shooter Member

I did what you good ol’boys have been doing for a long time now, (I would suspect anyway.<LAUGH>) I used DVD Decryptor, and copied it as a ISO image, (instead of “files” which I normally use so I can shrink it down).
    When it came to the part that popped the invalid structure part this time, it popped up this message “this disk is encoded with..etc..which is strange, because it is not suppose to be.” <Laugh> (I got a kick out of that one.) Then it offers to try to keep breaking the code for you. It took it a while to get it, but it finally broke though it.
    Once it did, I ended up with a .MDS file, which Nero would not burn, so I just used DVD Decryptor to burn it. That did it!! A perfect back up.
    I know you guys burn these ISO images all the time, but this is the first time I have tried it that it worked for me.<LAUGH>
    Fasfrank, I did try what you suggested, still the same outcome however. (But I did learn a lot about the structure of the dvd anyway.<smile>) Thanks for the input, it is ALWAYS appreciated.:)
    Shooter===>>

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member