1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid DVD Navigation Structure

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hawkeye61, Dec 7, 2004.

1. hawkeye61

hawkeye61 Member

I purchased ILO DVD recorder model dvdr04 so I could record two vcr home movies of my grandmother to dvd. I want to edit the movies and shrink them to one dvd. When I try to use dvd shrink to re author and store locally so I can edit and burn using Roxio 6, I get the message "Invalid DVD Navigation Structure". Any advice is greatly appreciated as time is running short because I wanted to get this done before Christmas. Thanks.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuummm, I see 2 problems here - First, I don't see where you bothered to render your VHS medium to the proper format to be used, much less burned to DVD and secondly, You wish to use Roxio which is extremely hostile to most DVD backup proggys.

Perhaps I missed something,

What format are your VHS files in and which guide are you using ?

Pete

3. hawkeye61

hawkeye61 Member

Thank you for such a quick reply. The VCR tapes were made in 1993. I hooked the VCR to the Ilo DVD recorder and recorded the tape to DVD with no problem. The DVD plays in my player and computer. I hadn't got as far as Roxio yet. I have been trying to use DVD Shrink, but it won't even open the movie. I get the error immediately when trying to open it. I view the files on the DVD and there are two folders, VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS. Inside those are video_rm.bup, .ifo, and .dat. In Video_TS are the VOB, BUP, and IFO files.

4. hawkeye61

hawkeye61 Member

I forgot to mention I recorded the DVD in SP mode MPEG2.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ya see, we're off to a good start already -

DVD Shrink should open the VIDEO_TS folder w/o a problem - Give it a try -

Pete

6. skhaliq

skhaliq Member

I have the same problem playing DVD (+RW) recorded on the Aspire 8091 DVD recorder.

If the DVD has only one recording on it, it plays fine on all the different DVD players installed on my PC, as well as with DVD Shrink.

However, if the DVD contains more than one recording, either only the first one can be played or none at all. And in DVD Shrink I get the error "Invalid DVD Navigation Structure" when trying to open the vob files or open the Disc with DVD Shrink.

I have a feeling the error message "Invalid DVD navigation structure" has something to do with the menu on the DVD which is created by my Aspire DVD recorder.

Appreciate any help or advice.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

@skhaliq
    It actually sounds like your problem is caused by your DVD recorder creating a multi-session disc that hasn't been closed. The DVD-Video standard requires that a disc be closed (which means you can't write any more data to it). I believe most (if not all) standalone DVD recorders have some sort of option to close a disc as a separate operation. Otherwise the discs wouldn't play on many DVD players (standalone players). Likewise, most DVD-ROMs can't read discs that haven't been closed, but burners generally can. However, it's also possible that the recorder does something that creates a non-standard disc until it's closed, which could also cause read problems on a burner.

Look through the recorder's manual to see if you can figure out how to close the discs and that will hopefully fix your problems.

8. hawkeye61

hawkeye61 Member

Reference my problem; I did finalize my disk and DVD Shrink does not open the disk or any folder on the disk. It gives an error each time.

9. skhaliq

skhaliq Member

When I go into the Aspire DVD recorder's Disk Operations menu, the "Finalize Disk" option is grayed out. The manual says DVD (+R/RW) disks should not need finalization. And thus I find that a DVD recorded on the Aspire with only one single recording, will play fine on my PC DVD players as well as DVD Shrink or on my XBox. And the DVD has not been finalized. However, a DVD recorded with more than one recording will not play on my PC's DVD player, or DVD Shrink or even XBox. It only plays on the Aspire recorder it was recorded on or my Apex 1500 DVD player.

The other thing I notice is that the DVD recorded with multiple recordings will only show 1GB in the VTS_01_1 file and this can be viewed through VideoReDO. It is only the first recordng on the DVD. It seems that the files for the other recordings are not visible or accessible that's why they won't play.

10. vurbal

After a couple of quick Google searches some things got knocked loose in my brain and came out of hiding. Most standalone DVD recorders use the DVD+VR (VR stands for Video Recorder) format instead of DVD-Video. DVD+VR is supposed to be compatible with most standalone DVD players, but I seem to remember seeing reports of problems with DVD Shrink. I'd recommend ripping any discs created with a standalone recorder using DVD Decrypter. If you need to use any of the features that Shrink has you can always opened the ripped files (or ISO) with it afterwards.

There's another (less common) format called DVD-VR which I believe is similar except that it can only be recorded to DVD-RW (ie not DVD+RW) discs and I'm not sure about standalone compatibily (except of course that the player would have to be able to read DVD-RW discs).

If Decrypter can't rip the disc either I'd recommend doing some research on DVD+VR or DVD-VR (whichever your recorder uses).

Edit:
    Now that I remebered a little more about how the VR formats work I believe this is correct.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  11. skhaliq

skhaliq Member

I tried to rip with DVD Decrypt. When I try to open the resultant file with DVD Shrink I get the error message:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to open file "D:\ESS_DVR_UDF\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01.0.IFO"

I'm not sure I am doing the ripping correctly in DVD Decrypt. I am using IFO mode.

12. vurbal

You should be ripping in either File or ISO Read mode.

13. hawkeye61

hawkeye61 Member

My recorder does use DVD+VR mode. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try your suggestion.

14. reuvens

reuvens Member

The same problem. I bought ITT DVR2 and when I tried to look at the content of the DVD it shows only the FIRST 1GB. It is very strange since I can watch the complete movie on my DVD player, 2 hours, but I see only the first 1GB on the computer.
    It has 2 folders
    VIDEO_RM with VIDEO_RM.BUP and VIDEO_RM.IFO
    and another folder
    VIDEO_TS with VOB of 1GB, BUP and IFO.

Any idea how to see the other parts and how they disappear ?
    Thanks.

15. skhaliq

skhaliq Member

I have the same problem after ripping with DVD Decrypter using File Mode or ISO Read mode. The resulting files cannot be opened with DVD Shrink.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

skhaliq,
    Now I find that hard to believe -

If you ripped in the ISO read mode, you would get as ISO image, period. An ISO is an ISO is an ISO. Open it just like anyother ISO. It cannot be any different. As for the File mode - One folder (if you're dealing with a DVD VR) will be a VIDEO_TS folder and again, it has IFO's, BUP's and VOB's in it and as long as that's the case, DVD Shrink will open that as well.

What size is your DVD VR. And what recorder is it from ?

If there is a chance that you're jumping in here with some other problem, please say so - Making statements that Shrink cannot open basic files type requires that you provide us with additional information -

Pete

17. solisss

solisss Guest

"after ripping with DVD Decrypter using File Mode or ISO Read mode."

Once you rip using Decrypter in "read mode" select mode/ISO-write. Then select file and hit the big green arrow. You don't have to go thru Shrink once you rip with Decrypter.

hope this helps

18. skhaliq

skhaliq Member

The reason for using DVD Shrink after ripping the DVD with DVD Decrypter, is so that the recording can be edited to remove unwanted frames like commercials. DVD Decrypt will create an ISO Image and there is no problem in creating a DVD from it. I don't want to create a DVD until I have cut out various frames using DVD Shrink.

The problem isn't so much that "DVD Shrink cannot open basic files" in that the same files cannot be read with Real Player, Windows Media player or any other DVD player software like Win-DVD.

It seems as if there is something wrong in the menu structure created by my Aspire DVD recorder, and this problem only occurs IF there is more than one recording on the DVD. If there is only one recording on the DVD recorded by my Aspire recorder, I have no difficulty playing it with Real Player etc or opening with DVD Shrink to edit or cut out frames, before recording back onto another DVD.

It seems from this thread that the problem I am describing above is also occurring with recordings done on other makes of DVD recorder.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

With more than one recording then generally the largest one is the one that's recognized

20. DaSmoov1

DaSmoov1 Member

I am having the same problem as the topic poster (hawkeye) and I was trying to do the same thing by Christmas. Hehe.. What is interesting is that some of my DVD's that I have recorded from my standalone DVD Recorder, I can rip in DVD Shrink. Some others I cannot.

What I found out was that you can "Author" them in DVD Shrink however. I think it goes after the largest file on the DVD+R though. It worked for me, and hopefully it works for you as well.

Happy Holidays!