1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'invalid page fault' when trying to encde with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by rgoodburn, Apr 1, 2004.

1. rgoodburn

rgoodburn Member

I have used DVD Decryptor(3.2.1.0) to rip a copy of Shrek onto my HD in a dedicated folder called ALL my DVD work/ Shek.

I then opened DVD Shrink(3.1.7.6).

Open files, Shek. All ok and I can preview all sections. Uncheck everything except main movie, audio nad sub picture (english) achieved 69.7% compression.

Back up, ISO image, check Lauch Deycrptor to burn the output image. Says space required 4,464MB. Space available 20,030MB.

Encoding starts, time 55mins, rate approx 2,190KB/s, buffered approx 38MB.

After a few seconds DVD SHRINK 3 caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a1a5.

Can anyone tell what might be going wrong?

Thanks
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
    256MB RAM
    40GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD
    Relsys DVD Rom 16x
    Cyberdrive CDRW 16x12x40x
    Pioneer DVR 105
    Geforce 2 MX400 64MB
    Win98 2nd Ed[/small]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  2. rgoodburn

rgoodburn Member

I've been trying different ways to try to get this to work.

I'd tried running the analysis and once completed it went on to get half way through the encoding before saying it encountered an error (exception program error) and failed.

I'm getting very frustrated with this. Please can anyone help?
    _
    256MB RAM
    40GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD
    Relsys DVD Rom 16x
    Pioneer DVR 105
    Geforce 2 MX400 64MB
    Win98 2nd Ed[/small]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  3. rgoodburn

rgoodburn Member

Still trying to get this to work.

I was looking through previous threads about crashes and saw a reply from ScubaPete. He suggested shutting everything down via msconfig and then running DVD Shrink when the PC rebooted.

I tried this and it got further than it has on other occasions (70%, rate 7,120KB/s, buffered 95MB, 5min remaining) but then it failed with DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue, failed to write file 'VTS_01_4.VOB', access is denied.

Behind this was another error message. This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. The detail says: DVD Shrink 3 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:00000b14.

Then my PC crashed. :-0

As you can see I have a 40GB HD (19.3GB free) and 256MB RAM. System resources were 60%. Windows is managing my virtual memory.

Can I give you any more information. If so please tell me what.

This is really driving me crazy but I am determined to get it working.

UPDATE...
    I've been reading back through loads of posts and I now realise that I haven't got loads of memory or HD space! I'm defragging my HD. Do I need to upgrade my RAM?

[bold]ScubaPete[/bold] are you out there? I love your gentle but firm approach to Newbie's like myself and it would be great to have your help on this.

I think its great that all you guys give up your own time to help people. Without this forum I don't know what I would do. I will certainly be back to see if I can help others once I get this problem sorted out.

As I said, I'm determined to get this to work.

Thanks
    Ross, Sheffield, England

UPDATE....
    I've also done the following, as found in other threads.
    Adaptec ASPI update
    http://download.com.com/3000-2098-10161912.html
    &
    "This tool will help check your DVD RW Drives"
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

I had another go at backup using DVD Shrink. I ran msconfig and unchecked all. When my PC rebooted I ran DVD Shrink but I've now gone backwards!!

It crashed straight away with....
    "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". Detail...
    DVD Shrink 3 caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7ala5

Please could someone help. I'm running out of ideas.
    256MB RAM
    40GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD
    Samsung DVD Rom 16x
    Pioneer DVR 105
    Geforce 2 MX400 64MB
    Win98 2nd Ed[/small]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004