1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid system disk

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by opufo1, Jan 22, 2007.

1. opufo1

opufo1 Guest

this is the screen that I have on my BIOS Startup:
    BIOS Version: 3.13 (1RETDHWW)
    BIOS Date 2004-10-29
    Embedded Controller Version: 3.04
    System-unit serial number: 1830Y1999DNYC3
    System board serial number: J1X9H4AV1GH
    CPU Type: Intel (R) Pentium(R)M processor
    CPU Speed: 1.50GHz
    Installed Memory: 256MB
    UUID: 308d4201-470a-11cd-9b4a-95923c2a67df
    Mac Address (Internal LAN): 00 11 25 2C D2 9D

The is all

2. bkf

bkf Guest

Look through the rest of the bios screens and see if you find anything that shows drives. If not you likley got a serious problem inside that thing. I still have to find the manual and read it to see where the drive info is located. Our bios's are not the same so ill have to see some pictures out of the manual. It might be a while later as I got to go play the cancer game again today in a few minutes. Talk about feeling sick :-(

3. opufo1

opufo1 Guest

I call IBM and this laptop has a warranty I sending it back to them for them to figure out what's wrong; anyway, thanks a million for your great help time; I would let you know when I get back how it goes
    thanks again

4. bkf

bkf Guest

It was a pleasure sir. Sending it back is probably the best idea. Im sorry you are having these problems and I hope your son gets his computer real quick.

ps: what im more sorry for was I could not help. Fixing things over the net is not always easy. Again my best.

And yes keep us informed: Learn, teach, share.
    Regards Bk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
  5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I was reading this and it struck me.. A lot of laptops use a system partition on the drive. I went hunting and came across this info
    Which is from a linux install guide, but may be relevant as it deals with dual-booting xp as well. http://www.charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html

Also mentioned was a set of recover/repair disks. I had a google and found the site. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-44175.html where the downloads are.
    I hope some of this stuff helps. I think what has happened is the system partition has been damaged and isn't finding the dvd-rom drivers somehow, or something like that.

Just info..may save somebody else from all these headaches..
    At least IBM honour their warranties :)

6. bkf

bkf Guest

Jan IBM and HP amoung others are the worst for this kind of stuff. Always the recovery partition or recovery disk's game, not a straight up retail copy of the OS. Reason I build all my own systems and when I start out with a blank OS drive it is VERY blank. We can only hope for the best for his son now. :)

7. opufo1

opufo1 Guest

Thanks janrocks I will check it out

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yup..too true, I had a similar situation with an Acer 17" widescreen laptop that was technically still under warranty. Some fool had taken the drive out and formatted it in another pc, removing the system partition too. What a nightmare that was, finding the right system files and partitioning the drive properly. I'm not keen on lappys for exactly this reason..why can't they use a normal bios rom?
    I have a still dead Compaq deskpro P2 series machine with a missing system partition after the hdd died. They seem to have invented this nonsense.. 162 system options not set.. grrrrrrrr!!

Best of luck to anybody trying to fix these machines. I don't do them except as a favour to the needy.

9. opufo1

opufo1 Guest

Well yesterday I received the laptop from IBM; and all I can say is that they did a great job, they even install Windows XP Pro for me.
    I'm very happy; Thank you guys on the forum for all your help.

10. bkf

bkf Guest

Im so glad it worked out for both you and your son :)