1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inverse pulldown with CCE

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by mpiper, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mpiper

mpiper Member

CCE has an option to inverse pulldown.

If I have a VHS tape of an old film that was created with pulldown, could I use inverse pulldown to re-create the orginal frames? If so, would it be at 24 fps? Would the average DVD player (tabletop) be able to play a DVD with film rate? In progressive mode?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

All NTSC DVDs have to be made up of interlaced video at 29.97fps. That's why telecining (pulldown) is used. If you have VHS captures and want to encode with CCE it's a much better idea to recover the original progressive frames using AviSynth (see my guide: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm) and then just encode normally with CCE. A program like Pulldown or DoPulldown can then be used to add the pulldown flags (DVD-Lab will also add the flags automatically when you import the file). After that you can use a progressive scan DVD player and a digital TV to view them correctly. If the player doesn't support progressive scanning or you're just viewing on a regular TV this won't work. The player can read the flags and give you the actual frames (instead of duplicating fields) and the digital TV is required for both the progressive video and the framerate.

Even if you don't have either of those there's a benefit to encoding this way. Both the progressive encoding and the lower framecount will give you better quality for the same filesize.