1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IOMagic IDVD16DD DVD burner (16x4x16x -4x DL)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hdee53, Feb 26, 2005.

1. hdee53

hdee53 Member

I am a newbee here. Just bought this burner @Staple for $69.94 + $30 rebate = $39.94 AR. It still in the box. Does anyone know this burner? is there any known problem(s)? Does it has Catch memory? (box didn't say anything but Newegg website said it does -confused! Does it read 2.4x DL media @4x speed? Incompatible media?
    Thanksamillion.
    Dee

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello Dee, I also bought that I/O magic 16x dual-layer at staple's last sunday. I installed it in a couple minutes. Boy was I bummed out after I booted up my spare pc. I bought the same I/O magic 16x IDVD16DD last thanksgiving sale and it was built by Benq-1620. They both were in the same identical boxes,with the same idvd16dd model on the box.The only thing different was it stated 4x +dl for that new one, and 2.4x +dl on the older one.

This new I/O registers as a generic ide 16x dvdrw in my backup pc. It wouldn't even recognize the maxell -4x yellowtops code ritek-g04.

It comes with nero oem suite,with no key code
    Also has power dvd with a key code. I don't need these programs,already got nero and windvd.

It does have a very nice/easy auto firmware updating program. I just updated it yesterday. It was installed with A07F,so I updated it to A07R and those ritek go4's are recognized and burning now. I do have more trouble playing those backups on my other players: Apex will only play the dash/lite-on 167 will only read the dash/my benq won't recognize any of those burns. No disc inserted errors,even on my ty's. My good old sony standalone and cyberhome dvd home burner plays them with no problem.

Here is some Info I found out on it: This drive plays majority of dvd/cd formats.
    It was built by EMPA-DRW1016IM, Middle East FZCO. I never heard of them.Has a 2mb buffer.

Of about 15 burns:
    Maxell -4x-Ritek go4
    Maxell + 8x- maxell-002-00
    Maxell +4x-ricohjpn-01
    Sony +1x-8x,made in japan, Yuden000-T02
    Sony -4x,made in austria, 04d1

No coasters using 4x speed,watch out if you leave the burn settings set on max when you use some 8x media,they may burn at 16x.
    They look great on that pc.
    Very quiet.

This is where I checked out the info: http://www.drvupdate.com

Google a search for: Empa drw1016 IM
    I found their regular dvd 16x drives there.Same exact firmware and identical site as the auto update site.

It seems like an ok burner for a newbie,just be cautious what you watch those backups on.For all the many different players and drives I use my backups on,I will stick with the dash format until I run into a great price on a benq 1620.This is only a backup,so it won't get a whole lot of use.
    This is all the info I could find,not sure about the cache,I haven't messed with it much and lost the instruction booklet,lol.I also haven't messed with dl media yet, I'm just a poor boy. Good Luck

3. hdee53

hdee53 Member

Hi Saugmon, I just read your other feedback. Thank you very much. I have a lot of problem playing the backup copies that were made by my Khypermedia 8x burner. All copies were not running smothly as it should be on my standalone Apex, Panasonic and Toyota automobile dvd players. I even bought the media that made (or branded) by Khypermedia with thought that it would work well with each other. Boy, am I so wrong!

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dee, That media made by k-hypermedia is one of the worst.With all the problems of low quality media,I just ignore brands like that one.I use the high quality media like,verbatim data life plus,maxell,sony +1-8x-made by ty and have no playback issues on my I/O by benq backups.

That new I/O does have dual format for a little more flexibility.That khypermedia is + only. Since you are playing them in automobile players, they may be even pickier. My dash format discs seem to play better in most of my stand alones from that new burner. My regular burner far exceeds that newer one. I can't get lucky enough to get freezing,pixellation,or any other problems like that. I get the "no disc" inserted errors right off the bat. Compatability issue,different lasers.I know the quality means a lot on media,but looks like the same on dvd burners.

My khypermedia liked: verbatim mcc-002/mcc-003/ricohjpn-01 media. I didn't really use any media that gave me any coasters,all burned flawless,just would not play on my apex player.My lite-on dvd rom had no trouble re-ripping those backups,re-burn them with my benq-on the fly,and then played flawless in my apex .Same media/same 4x burn speed/different burning lasers.This leads to a weak laser.

Then you get into the burners with bit-setting/book-type to dvd-rom and other things. Each burner has different features.

5. hdee53

hdee53 Member

thanks again Saugmon, now I know for sure my khypermedia burner is a cause of my backup problems since you have exactly described the symtoms. I had followed the instruction here in bit setting, dvdshink setting, dvd decrypter setup, ect to make many copies over and still have the same problem. Some of my copy run ok on Samsung standalone dvd player (forgot the model) but doesn't run a the in the auto dvd.
    I will order the NEC 3520A today to replace this burner. I am tire of it!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dee, good luck on that new nec 3520 and keep in touch on how it's backups play on your stand alones.