1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iomega hd

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bklyn1028, Dec 13, 2004.

1. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

i just got a Iomega external HD 120MB USB.....it comes formatted with FAT32..i of course have win xp which as we all know and love is NTFS...question...Iomega web site says that the FAT32 format willnot allow any file to be saved that is over 4GB...do i have to convert this to NTFS?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

120mb or 120G ?

If you convert the Hard Drive to NTFS, you wont be able to move the Hard Drive to a Windows 98 Computer, it will only work on a Windows 2000/XP Machine

If you have nothing on it, you should be able to right click on it in My Computer, then select format, and change filesystem to NTFS (that will delete everything on the drive)

Or

Click Start -> Run -> CMD

now type

CONVERT X: /fs:ntfs

Now X: is the drive that you want to convert, so if the drive is E:, change the X: to E: etc.

That will convert it without formatting or losing any data.

But like i said, if you do, it will only now work on Win2000/XP

CJC

3. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

yes..sorry...it's 120gb..not mb.....thanx for the info....will it run slower in ntfs..than fat32?

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

There is no real difference in speed.

CJC

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

used your advice last nite..did the right click in device mgr....and when i hit format...it allready said it was NTFS......
    thanx for your help

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

If you went rightclick, then format, and it had NTFS in a drop down box, thats not saying that its NTFS, thats just the default option.

Right Click on that Drive then go down to Properties.

It should have Type and File System. What does it say under FileSystem, thats what it is (Fat32 or NTFS)

CJC

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

At this point it's irrevelant...i copied Hero last nite...(fantastic movie)...if u like color and scenery...and the default drive was F..(the new one)..and it held what decrypter put there which was over 7GB...the reason for going to ntfs was iomega said fat32 won't hold more than 4gb...obviously it is fine..no need to do anything...i don't think

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

As long as it says FileSystem: NTFS and u can put files over 4G, you dont have to change a thing...

CJC