1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Address Question...*

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pbstar44, Apr 18, 2007.

1. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

Ok I bought a xbox from some one. It has a Different IP address than what my computer has and my other xbox. So my question is how do I find my IP adress that is om my computer and how do I change the one on my xbox?
    Thanks

2. corn

corn Guest

To find the IP on your PC, go to Run, and type in command.
    Then, type Ipconfig
    To exit, type exit.
    You can't change the IP address on your Xbox, just put it to Automatic.

3. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

i know how to find my IP adress, i went to myipaddress.com but how do i get the IP to match on the xbox. When I troubleshoot it says "The network gateway could not be reached." THen i go back and it says " Cables Connected. IP not confirmed (with red circle next to it)" or every once and a while it will say "Check cables", but they all are connected. Also if it does pass the cables then it will say no connection. But if i go to Network Settings then to advanced and then to Wireless it says im Connected..Name:linksys...SPeed: 24.0 Mbps...Strength:Low

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. corn

corn Guest

Change the IP address on your Xbox from Static to Automatic.
    EDIT: Are you playing on a Modded Xbox, or a Retail Xbox that was modded, but is now un-modded? Or just retail.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  5. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

im playing on a retail xbox that was modded...the dashboard is still modded but no mods on it

6. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

when checking your connectivity are you checking through your ms dash or your modded dash. With unleash or evox just put it to dhcp and you should be fine.

7. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

ive been checking threw my MS dash. So if I go to my evox dash where do I go to change it to dhcp?

8. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

honestly I haven't used evox in so long I don;t know. I use unleash and in there it's under network settings or system settings I would just look around. You won't be able to connect through your ms dash just locate the network, so don't think you are screwed up or anything.

9. pbstar44

pbstar44 Member

alright thanks ill havto try that out, but once i do change it to dhcp I should be able to go back to my MS dash and connect?

10. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

No. You would be able to connect with your other dash. If your trying to connecto to live just popo the game in and cold boot it. It will connect. If your trying to ftp than you would want evox anyway. I would consider the ms dash obsolete other than for game save navigation and a few settings. I would stick to the modded dash. You will find it much more functional.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

networking can be a bit tricky the first time. but here are some pointers

1. to find all the information you need, you need to do what corn told you above. Go to Start->all programs->accessories->command prompt. Then when the box comes up type ipconfig/all and it will give you all the information. WRITE IT DOWN!!
    2. now that you have the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers also look there to see if your PC says that DHCP in enabled. If so then you want to set the Xbox up for DHCP. With EvoX it has an option that says static, and you can answer yes or no. If you are going from the Xbox to the PC you might want to choose static, yes and manually set it all up. From a router you want to choose static NO.

3. ok now onto the good part. Now bring up the settings in EvoX where all the network information is typed in. You want to assign an IP address that no other device uses. You an assgin it the same information as the other xbox you have as long as they are not being used at the same time. Like my xbox and Xbox 360 both have the same network information because i only use one at a a time.
    If computer IP was something like 192.168.1.100 the you can set the Xbox up as 192.168.1.105 and the rest will match the PC (subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers)

if none of that makes any sense to you there are plenty of guides around on how to FTP, setting up the connection for that will be the same. Most will have you set up a static IP and set the xbox up as static, which is fine. Personally i always use DHCP which assigns an IP address automatically.

12. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

If you are connected to a router, the IP address that myipaddress.com gave you is your WAN IP, you need to get your LAN IP. Your xbox wont connect using the WAN IP.

13. mysmart

mysmart Member

hey,

i have a softmodded xbox with an evox dash. my setup is:

modem -- router -- hub -- computer
    ..................|
    ..................|
    ................xbox

when i try to connect to XBOX Live using the ms dash, i get the error message about checking cables to make sure they are connected (i'm 100% sure they are, because everything works fine when i replace my xbox with my 360 in the diagram above). note that although i cannot connect to XBL, i can FTP to my computer (on which the internet works fine).

when i try this setup:

modem -- router -- xbox

the cables are suddenly connected, however, i have a bunch of errors with ip addresses, dns, etc.

so if i can't connect off of my ms dash, how do i connect to xbox live? my xbox has no xbl accounts on it, and i need to create one. how do i do this?

also, on my evox dash, i let it get the settings automatically. it shows a different default gateway than the one i KNOW is correct. what gives?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  14. mysmart

mysmart Member

SORRY, THAT FIRST DIAGRAM IS WRONG, IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:

modem -- router -- hub -- computer
    ..................|
    ..................|
    ................xbox

(PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST, I FIGURED OUT HOW TO EDIT MY FIRST ONE. SORRY!)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Firstly, if you connect to Xbox Live with a modded dash you WILL BE BANNED!!!

Secondly, what role does the router play in your network? From what you have told me, just delete the router and use the Hub...

16. mysmart

mysmart Member

I have a large house, and the router is required for distance reasons, as well as the fact that I have about 20 different wires that need to be plugged into it.

The modded dash won't get me automatically banned from XBL all together, will it? If it will, then how do people mod on Halo 2 on LIVE(in custom games) all the time?

17. corn

corn Guest

Bungie updated it all together now, I think you get banned automatically for signing into Xbox Live with modded maps, not the 6 hour rule.
    Anyways, chances are those people are banned from Matchmaking, 'cause thats all that will happen, is you will be banned from Halo 2 Matchmaking.

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Without getting too technical with your network, I'd say your problem lies within the router configuration.

Option 1: You need to set up Static addresses for each connection on the network within the router.

Option 2: Ensure that the modem isn't set as a DHCP server as well as the router. Only ONE can be a DHCP server. With that in mind, the Xbox and PC should be assigned a random address.

*NOTE*

Unless your house is 100m+ in length, using a router for distance reasons is insane. Get longer CAT5 cables.