1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP address question?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dymx, Nov 25, 2007.

1. dymx

dymx Guest

if I were to login to a website and they have my ip address, then a few days later I login to the same website with the same username from another computer will they have my previous ip address on file or my current?

2. james2194

james2194 Member

if u wont to download somthing and your ip address cand only download so mey files at a time on some web sites and outhers your user name can only download so meny downloads so it depends on what they are looking at but yes they will have your old ip adress.

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

dymx, each time you sign in to a website, your computer's IP address is stored, with your user name, in a file called a "log". This file is stored on the server which hosts the web site. The website admins can look and see all the IP addresses that your username logged in from, if they want to.

Does that answer your question? Are you trying to get around a ban? (only asking!)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you can change you're IP address

shut down your PC unplug the modem router etc boot back up and do this

Change your ip
    Start>Run>type CMD>typeIpconfig/renew

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That doesn't work with my cable modem. My ISP uses DHCP, and it can only change from their end.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html

I'm on a static ip.. arranged with my isp. Look at changing the client_id that your hardware sends and then do a release command.

May have no effect at all.. there is nothing to say that a cable isp is actually using DHCP in the way we think of it..they know which wire you are on and reply with the same ip for every request for a lease.. I can tell you which street somebody lives on in my neighbourhood by the cable ip :lol: Your ip may be fixed to your billing and user information. the easiest way to find out is disconnect your modem for about a week, and then boot it up connected to a different operating system and see if it changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I'm not the one trying to change IP. My ip address has been the same since Jan 7th 2001 when I first got connected to Telewest. I have been through 3 modems and 4 PCs in that time. It doesn't bother me, I'll use Tor if I want to hide my IP from anybody.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

so reformatting windows doesn't change the IP either?

9. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

No. Why should it? Redecorating your house and buying new furniture doesn't alter the postal address.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  10. varnull

varnull Guest

LOL @ furniture..

That's exactly what I was trying to get at with cable isp's idea of dhcp.. If your ip lease expires while your modem is disconnected, and a different client_id is passed with the new request it might happen....all depends really if your ip has been assigned to anybody else in the meantime..
    Getting a new one can usually be done by request.. say for instance somebody is running a directed ddos attack against your ip which is affecting others in your local range.. but with some getting a new ip asigned is... well it's probably easier to get whiskey out of an elephant....

My home domestic ip never changed in 3 years, but I needed to guarantee it wasn't going to change at random so I pay a little more for static.

When I want to hide my ip I just bust into one of the unsecured wireless networks that are in range.. on the assumption that if it isn't secured then the owner intends it to be a public access point heh heh heh ;-)

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

with dial up I used to get a new IP address every time; with my current fibre optic cable connection, the equipment that connects me to the ISP's network is unchanging over time. With DSL you are on the same DSLAM so there is no particular reason either for your IP to change.