1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP Address question

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rsheehy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. rsheehy

rsheehy Member

Hey,
    I have a question,
    I want to download something like a hundred times to get it higher in a download chart, but I want to know how I can go about it, I need to have different ip address', is there any quick way of changing ip address'..... As if I download something off the same IP 100 times then they will know what I'm doing.

Thanks

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well you can change your ip,
    where are you downloading it off??

MOST free download sites (like mediafire, and sendfile.com) will support downloading with a proxy, i guess since they doen't see an ip each download will be tallied on the chart
    http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/
    you virus protection software probably has a built in proxy, if you want it'd be better to enable that one

sites like megaupload, and raipshare.com are sites that moniotor your sites download rate and limit you unless you have purchased an acount with them, so if you use a proxy or cover your ip address from view
    the sites wont let you download it

a proxy is your only way around this?
    =================
    how about you upload something useful, so that people will download it alot and you will get placed higher in the "chart" you seem to respect so much

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

are you trying to download something off of rapidshare with the free service?

4. rsheehy

rsheehy Member

Hey,
    Well to let you in on it, it's basically a competition in Ireland that I'm thinking of entering. Loads of bands upload their songs and the top 5 most downloaded get to play in a gig in the capital.

Basically we're from cork and I know for a fact that this competition is based in Dublin and it will be dublin bands up near the top, I want to know is there a way I can download my own song many many times without getting caught (as it is cheating)

Yes I know its cheating but please dont give me the talk on whats right and wrong as the industry in Ireland is not fair and this shit is happening everywhere....and its the only way to get recognised, I know for a fact that this exact thing that I'm doing has been done in a different (bigger) irish music competition "Your A Star" which is a televised show....

EDIT:
    Also just for the record I fully believe that doing this will not actually get us into the top 5 but I think it will only be putting us on a level playing field with others as I know that if I do it I wont be the only one......

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. tripplite

tripplite Guest

rsheehy- im the head technical coordinator of this event, i will try my hardest to find who you are and expel you from this competition
    jk jk i'll just screw with you

make sure to enable a proxy, this way it'll seem as if a different computer is downloading it each time,

http://www.pure-mac.com/dlm.html

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=download managers&tag=srch

btw: it'll look very suspicious if all of a sudden one of your songs gets more attention then any of the others, and is downloaded all by computers with proxys, i think you should just write a good song!

6. rsheehy

rsheehy Member

Hey,
    haha, Nearly got me there!

Thanks a million for that.

We actually have a lot of confidence in our own song anyway as long as it gets in the top 50...as then everyone can see it...before then it can only be friends and fans downloading it...and we will only be putting ourselves on a level playing field...except it will be costing us free. To download online its free but to download off mobiles it cost €1 each time, and what other bands do is buy loads of credit to buy their own songs and get them in the charts....Theres no way I'm paying for this so thats why I went by the download route. I'm also going to get a free O2 sim card with €10 free credit but that'll only get 10 downloads....you see the competition doesn't care if one phone downloads somethings loads of times because thats getting them money.

It's spread out over a month so what I'll do is probably download maybe 3-5 a day off proxys and combining that with the extra 3-5 a day we expect to get anyway and the 1 or 2 phone downloads then it shouldn't look suspicious.

Thanks

EDIT: Just went to your link, is a download manager all I need?
    I'm a noob in this area....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  7. varnull

varnull Guest

Why don't you just do a writeup on your band and song.. I'm pretty sure lots of people here will check it out ;)

I'm always up for some new music.

8. rsheehy

rsheehy Member

Ya I actually now agree, I was thinking of trying to get it into the top 50 by downloading myself and getting friends to download it but theres a much bigger volume of people on messageboards and forums I post on that would download it anyway...Even tho' I am 100% certain (and know of certain occurances) that the whole irish music scene is corrupt and this is happening everywhere. It wouldn't be any personal achievment to do it the way I'm doing it, although I don't want to buy it on phones which costs €1 each time and people WILL be doing that no doubt.

Anyway I'll just post up the download link on messageboards when the comp starts (in March)

The song is called "Feelings" and we're using it as it in our opinion is a very radio friendly song (which we think is needed for this competition).

You can hear it on our myspace am I allowed post the link here?

9. tripplite

tripplite Guest

mp3lizard it!
    ya link me up!

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Yeah.. get on mp3lizard. It works for everybody, and has a download counter.