1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP address same on 2 pc's??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dsenart, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dsenart

dsenart Member

I am using a Linksys WR45G Wireless Router. I have a desktop and a laptop running on this router. Shouldn't the IP address be different for both systems? If I go to whatismyip.com on both machines I am given the same exact IP address for both computers. I thought that a router assigned a different IP address for the 2nd machine.

I know I used to just use a hub and I had to pay my cable provider extra $$ for a 2nd IP and was told that with the router I didn't need to pay for extra IP's cause the router assigned them.

The reason I need to know is because I am downloading some stuff from rapidshare and I would like to be able to get 2 files per 2 hours instead of 1.

2. missing30

missing30 Member

Nah, if you're behind a router then those online-IP-getters are showing you the ip address of the router, meaning the ip address of your "intranet" to the world, then the router directs each incoming packet to the proper machine hooked to it. If you want your ip address on your network there's a million ways to get it...i'd recommend start-run-cmd, then in the black box type "ipconfig"

EDITTo the outside world you will always have only one IP address unless you py extra for a service through your ISP. Or use some sort of anonymizer, or proxy server.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007