1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone 3gs can't downgrade from ios 5 beta 7

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by harvardja, Sep 8, 2011.

1. harvardja

harvardja Regular member

So I made the mistake of attempting to downgrade from ios 5 beta 7 to ios 4.3.5 on my iPhone 3gs. I was able to do it on the Ipad 1, i thought it would be as easy...I was wrong.

I option clicked "restore" in itunes to restore to the downloaded 3gs firmware 4.3.5, but it got stuck in a "recover mode" loop (error 1015). The latest versions of Tinyumbrella and Recboot were unable to kick the iphone out of recover mode.

I figured since I couldn't kick it out of the recover mode, I would have to try to jailbreak/boot tethered. Redsn0w froze at "installing activation bundles" for a very long time. I assume it failed, but the iphone managed to reboot itself. I used redsn0w to boot tethered...and now the phone is in "emergency call" mode only.

I think i currently bricked my 3gs...I think i'm going to have to wait for a newer version tinyumbrella/recboot can kick the 3gs out of recover mode.

I'm hoping i'm wrong though. anybody have any ideas?

edit:

after putting the phone in pwned dfu mode I was able to write the custom 4.3.3 firmware onto the iphone 3gs, and then jailbreak + boot tether it. But the phone cannot make any calls!

Under general->about ; the "network" section says "not available," and the "carrier" section says "AT&T."

oh noooo

edit2:

my baseband is 05.16.05, so ultrasn0w won't work. and after researching, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the baseband other than to the ipad's baseband.

should i do that? it'll be a huge battery killer though, right? arghhh

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. sharpe2

sharpe2 Member

I have been fighting this for weeks.. TRUST ME!

All you have to do is check your hosts file make sure its stock...

Then you can upgrade back to any of the ios 5 beta releases...

I have tried downgrading i have collected about 50 differnt programs to attempt with no luck... but your phone is not bricked.....

3. sharpe2

sharpe2 Member

I've finally made some headway in downgrading my 3GS iOS from 5.0bX all the way back down to 4.1. I was able to do it by creating a custom firmware in iFaith which used to be part of snowbreeze.. It asked me to combine my saved .shsh blob and a stock firmware (don't know why i was always against that) then using Redsn0w 0.9.9 I hit the check mark next to "Enter Pwned DFU mode now" after that I used itunes and did a shift+restore to my newly created custom firmware.

Oh btw before i forget i did notice the inability to enter DFU mode that can be taken care of by restoring to one of the 5.X ispw files then reattempt the above steps.

In the middle of all this i got upset and went to t-mobile store and bought an HTC HD7 (love it!) so i no longer have a valid ATT sim to test with doesn't matter cause i got the phone sold to my sis who has use for it.. she plans on using the gevey sim hardware unlock to use it on tmobile which she just got too. Hope this helps you and i went thru so much hell trying countless restores but hey you learn right? Good luck :)