1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iphone = Data Plane = WTF

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by pigpen75, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

OK, my mom just bought me a new Iphone and tells me my bill will go up $30 a month for 2 years because of a mandatory data package contracts (at&t). Well, I can't afford that.

Is there anyway around this plan? I really just want to use the WIFI features for internet.

If I buy a jailbroke or unlocked iphone on ebay will i still be able to use it and not have to have a data package. Thanks in advance.

2. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

probably not, unless you get an unlocked one from ebay, but those cost like $700-$800, which is more than the $30 monthly rate.

3. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

just buy one from www.zendoo.com theyre trust worthy and download ziphone and it will automatically jailbrake unlock and activate your phone and you can use it with any sim card!

4. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

zooom1834, he is talking about the iPhone 3G. That website has one 8GB 3G iPhone for $638. Does that phone require a contract?

5. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

My mom returned it and they charged her $40 restocking fee, thos BASTARDS. So I bought a used one (2g) on ebay in great shape with a lot of xtras for $360 Total.

Any suggestions as far as unlocking/jailbreaking? I downloaded Ziphone 3.0 and that looks really simple, but my phone isn't here yet to test it. IT is version 2.0

6. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

correct me if im wrong, but I dont think ziphone unlocks the 2.0 software only the older ones. So when you get the iPhone you will have to either use WinPwn (for Windows) or Pwnge Tool (for Mac). DO NOT upgrade the firmware to 2.1.1, unless you plan on using AT&T.

7. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

So do I have to upgrade to firmware 2.1.1 If I plan on using ATT? I plan on unlocking/jailbreaking the phone and using it on ATT.

8. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

They haven't jailbroken/unlocked the 2.1 firmware yet, so it would be best to wait until they did this first before updating. If the iPhone already is loaded with 2.1, than you can use it on AT&T, but will have to wait for the unlock/ jailbreak.

9. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

The ipone 2g that I bought is loaded with version 2.0. Does this mean it is unlockable/jailbreakable if im with att? You now have me worried

10. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

yes, 2.0 is unlockable, 2.1 is not yet. so your good than. dont worry :)

11. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

***UPDATE***

I bought a used Iphone on Ebay and just recently unlocked/jailbroke it using winpwn 2.5. It is now asking me to activate it through Itunes. I just want to know if this is a good idea? I dont want AT&T to charge me for that $30 data plan. Is there a better way to activate the iphone (maybe have winpwn do it for me?). It says "slide for emergency", but it still lets me accept incoming calls. WTF

12. nitrous3

nitrous3 Regular member

thats weird, im not exactly sure about what you should do, i haven't updated mine since 2.0.1

13. pigpen75

pigpen75 Member

I'm running 2.0 on a 2G