1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod 3rd gen. nano has no sound HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by NCSunny, Sep 25, 2012.

1. NCSunny

NCSunny Member

Hi, newbie to ipods/apple stuff, so I am basically lost...anyway

My son got a new ipod and gave me his old 3rd generation nano.

It has been working fine for over 4 months, then today it has no sound. Looks as though it is playing, but all I can hear is the click when scrolling through the menu/songlist.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I looked through over 13 pages in the forum for a similar problem, but did not see one.

TIA

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Maybe a broken solder connection but it can't be a cold solder connection. That is a problem for a new never been used electronic. The joint was not cleaned, fluxed or had enough heat to make a proper solder connection. This happens during its manufacture. Once it has worked, cold solder is out of the question. In fact because it is making some noise, all easy solutions are gone. It must have a problem with the creation of the music which is inside the CPU/chip. You son got out at the right time. I have the same generation nano. Mine still works but it is on its last legs. I figure I got my money's worth out of it.

4. NCSunny

NCSunny Member

Thanks to all for the help. After a million resets, it finally started working again.
    I posted this several days ago, have no idea where the post went?!?

Anyway...I have no idea what happened or how I fixed it.

Thanks again...

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Your nano is in the same shape as mine. Maybe mine is closer to the junk yard by a bit. It also has had intermittent problems for over a year. It is over 5 yrs old with heavy use and maybe over 6 yrs, so I am thinking to buy a new one this year while I can still buy one without a touch screen. I have the most trouble with the controls and figure touch screens will wear out faster than a simple switch. When I got mine it 4 g was as big as they came which is a bit small for me.

You are lucky you kept trying. Most persons would have given up.

6. NCSunny

NCSunny Member

I am thinking about just getting a new one too. I enjoy having it and now couldn't live without it.

I bet the one I have is a lot closer to the junk drawer than yours...my son is rough, and I mean rough on everything he owns. I remember seeing him throw it a few times too.

I did actually give up, but when I wasn't as frustrated, I kept resetting and trying a few different things I read online and then it suddenly was working and I haven't had any trouble since. (Fingers crossed) till I get a new one.

Cheers

7. Mez

Mez Active member

I use a Sansa for music so I use the nano a bit less. I like books on tape and I way prefer how the ipod handles them over any other device. I prefer the time index that I used to hate and still do for music making it easy to replay the last 30 seconds because I missed something. For music I could care less. There I more often fiddle with the volume. I raise or lower the volume to keep it above the noise.

I hate paying triple for just one feature but even if the next one lasts half as long it is worth it to me. The Sansa's have a painful way to change the time index. They are my only choices. I will not buy a Chipod and Creative went belly up. Even the expensive ones have no warantee. I can remember when they would die a month after you bought them. I am sure they are better now but my last Sansa cost less (16g for 65 USDs) than a Crowdon? of the same size. I am sure I didn't spell it correctly.