1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Classic 160gb Suffering From Short-Term Memory Malfunction

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by WhatFrequ, Aug 11, 2014.

1. WhatFrequ

WhatFrequ Member

Hello, I am having an interesting problem with my iPod Classic that I hope somebody can shed some light on. I am grateful for any and all help, especially considering posting on Apple's support forum requires an Apple ID and I can't chat their support without being charged.

Anyways, my problem is this: when I plug my iPod in, and I sync a few artists, sometimes it will work. I can unplug it and the artists will show up, and I can listen to them. But oddly enough, sometimes I will plug it in, synch a few more artists, unplug it, and the music is gone. The iPod's storage information will say that the music is there (as in it will say a few gigabytes is occupied) but when I highlight "Artists", or "Music", or what have you it will read "No Music" in the gray screen on the right. So, I have to plug in my iPod, reformat it using Windows Explorer, and then start from scratch. I do this quite often, but now that I have time to ask, and time to explain the situation in detail, I was hoping somebody would have even the foggiest of notion of how to make it so my iPod doesn't "forget" the music I just synched. I was wondering if it was an issue with enabling disk use or something, but to be honest, that's probably just a shot in the dark.

Again, any and all support is warmly encouraged! Thank you!

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

could be an issue with program you use to sync the songs (sharepod is suppose to be really good).
    could be the format of the songs.(think ipod uses/saves as aac files)

classic ipods are more reliable than nano and shuffle from what i've heard they don't fail as much but it could be hardware failing.

honestly i think its a software issues ,something being interrupted between copying the music to the ipod & disconnecting the ipod from pc.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check for a firmware update for the ipod as not itunes on the pc that is causing the problem.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I think it is a database issue and I believe it is the database on the computer. I assume you are using itunes to sync. The artist that work have good data in the all the tables and the ones that do not do not. Maybe there is a bad sector on your hard disk and itunes or what ever you are using is using has data on that sector.

For what ever reason you may be losing your music collection on your computer. I would backup your music. Itunes will allow you to export your library to DVDs. If your music is not DRMed you can backup your ipod as well. The music in in a hidden folder called control or something like that. You can just copy it with file explorer. You might want to run a diagnostic against your hard drive. I have something from Seagate that will repair bad sectors. If a weak sector is found it carefully reads the data then writes it to the disk maybe 1,000 with enough force that you can easily hear the banging. When the sector is repaired it moves on. They do not distribute that app any more. It was a money loser for them.

For the other 2 respondents who know the story, I had hundreds of these super valuable tools on the disks I lost then found. Whatfrequ, I had been attacked by malware that rendered all my disks unreadable that had been read or probably connected to the computer when it was infected. These two gentleman helped me out and I recovered them. I do not think I am out of the woods yet. Once I figured out how to get the disk to read I may have been re-infected. I hope that is just paranoia. Once I fixed one and read it all the other disks became readable on their own. I can live with that for now. That computer will never see the internet again. As you can imagine, I have gone back to optical storage backup for critical items. Verbatim DVDs last at least 10 years. I had an unpublished book and 30 years of research notes and data that might have been lost for good.