1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod HDD broken?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by conformer, Jul 25, 2012.

1. conformer

conformer Member

Ok so this problem kindof takes a little bit of explaining, but I have an 80gb 4th (i think) generation ipod with RockBox installed. Everything working totally fine but then a few weeks ago it all the sudden just quit and when I looked at the ipod, it said something on the screen like

"error could not write to sector [something]"

I don't remember exactly what it said. I should have written it down, but I guess I just figured it would be fine if I restarted it. I was running Rockbox at the time by the way. So i restarted it and now it wont boot into the apple OS at all, it just sits at that blueish screen after the bootloader for forever, and when I boot into Rockbox it says

"no rockbox directory"
    "installation incomplete"

my background is gone too and none of my music shows up at all either. On top of that, I can't mount the ipod in either Windows or Linux. The best it will do is when I'm in Ubuntu, and I start up whats left of rockbox, it goes into this "USB Keypad Mode: Multimedia" thing and I can change the volume on my computer with the scroll wheel. After a while anyways, its pretty twitchy for a little bit.

I don't know if this helps at all but when I look at the debug stuff in rockbox it says there are 0kbs free on my hard drive along with a bunch of other stuff, but all that is making me think its definitely just something screwed up bad with my hard drive. I dont really care if the ipod cant be saved but I had like 70 gigs of files and other stuff I had stored on there so really I would just like to know if there is anyway to get that stuff off there and on to my computer.

Sorry this is such a long and involed question. If theres anything anyone knows that could help it would definitely be much appreciated. Thanks alot!

2. conformer

conformer Member

No one has any ideas? Is there like some kind of program that I can use to get as much stuff off the hard drive as possible? It has to be able to read the hard drive at least a little or rockbox wouldnt work wouldn't it?

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And, what did Roxbox say when you contacted them about your iPod seemingly being bricked?

4. conformer

conformer Member

Well, I haven't contacted Rockbox yet. I kindof just figured that it was a more of a hardware problem than a software one, it's kindof an old ipod. I guess it could have had something to do with Rockbox though.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

The disked ipods do not last very long. The really old ones that cost lots of money held up well. Now Apple really wants to drop them because the maintenance while under warrantee cancels out their profits. Check eBay for hard disks and do the repair yourself. Apparently it is not very hard to do. I have changed a battery it came with tools to open the ipod. I assume HDDs will be the same.