1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipone,cost to make!

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by bunny_c, Jan 20, 2007.

1. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

just thought i should share the news!

Apple's margins on the iPhone will be almost 50 per cent, market watcher iSuppli has forecast after being given a glance an an early list of components the Mac OS X-based smart phone will contain.

According to iSuppli's calculations, the 4GB iPhone will cost $229.85 to source and assemble. That's just the hardware - factor in the cost of the software and technology licensing fees and the cost rises to $245.83. That's still rather less than the $500 the phone will retail for when US carrier Cingular ships it later this year.

That price is in addition to the two-year contract iPhone buyers will need to take out with the carrier. That suggests Cingular may be subsidising the end-user cost of the phone, in which case Apple's margins may be higher still.

The $600 8GB iPhone costs $280.83 to produce, iSuppli calculates.

All of which provides Apple will plenty of room for maneouvre to reduce prices in due course, particularly if it appears the current pricing scheme is limiting take-up. As with the iPod, so with the iPhone: price it high early on to grab early adopters and the brand's key fanbase, then lower the price as demand expands - or to stimulate it. Apple's bill-of-materials cost will fall over time, thanks to greater degrees of miniaturisation and integration, pushing margins up.

Apple this week indicated it's expecting iPhone sales to hit 10m in 2008.

According to iSuppli's breakdown, the phone's Flash memory is the most expensive single component, closely followed by the 3.5in touchscreen - $35 and $33.50, respectively, in the 4GB model. ®
    Slashdot Post to Slashdot Digg Digg this del.icio.us

From : http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/19/iphone_bom_forecast/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  2. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

lol personaly i dont have great hopes for the iphone, as of now i am doubtfull that it will be good. I plan to stick to just haveing my 60Gb ipod and razor seperate. There are still advantages to this. If you want my advice, wait for a few models before buying this phone. Apple upgrades it's products very fast. I have no doubts in my mind that soon this will be THE phone to get, but for the time being stick with getting a normal phone.

3. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Dose anyone have realese date? My Cingular Contract expires in 2 weeks and I need to renew it, I I have the option to get new phones... so is it comeing out within 2 weeks? If not I will go with out a cell for awhile unless it wont come out for a year or so!
    Thanks
    Domreis

4. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

the rumored release date was the 15 of January.
    so...

5. dkmopq

dkmopq Guest

From some websites, iPhone will be released on June, 2007.

6. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Do you have a source?

7. serpiroth

serpiroth Regular member

8. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Hey what do you guy's think of making an iphone news thread?

would it work?

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Yea... I will make one!