1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRC guides?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jlrm365, Apr 30, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I have managed to get a grip of P2P and torrents.

Now I would like to learn about IRC, as it seems to be the quickest medium to gain the new releases (though newsgroups are mentioned a lot too) and seem quite "safe".

I have searched the forums for "IRC" and didn't see any guides. Even after a few pages of this "file sharing applications" area, I was no better off.

For someone new to IRC, who likes the simplest options for now, because I can always learn the rest later, which guides would you recommend and where can I find them (links?)?

If something is a bit more complicated but a lot better (I seem to see that IRC is better than mIRC in the posts), then please do give me that option instead.

I would love to learn, as I now quite often find that IRC seems to have the files I look for quicker than a lot of torrent sites.

Thanks for the time!

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

3. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

www.slyck.com has a good guide on how to use IRC or any other file sharing applications. But if I were you I'd use newsgroups instead. IRC is pretty slow compared to torrents and newsgroups, and newsgroups get new releases just as quickly as IRC. The only good thing about IRC is getting files that are hard to find, but even then you often have to wait on long queue lists. I only go on IRC if I can't get the files any other way.

4. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Ok... if I read that right... newsgroups are quicker but IRC is more indepth.

Slyk's site looks good.

Which of the two would you say was easier to use?

How do the speeds of newsgroups compare to torrents?

5. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

Newsgroups are alot easier to use since you don't need to know all the commands (however if you use unix you should be right at home).

Newsgroups are quicker than torrents, although I'm guessing it depends which news server you subscribe to, I just use the free one that comes with my isp.

IRC's depth comes because you're basicaly just looking through a person's personal collection of files, while with newsgroups new files are constantly being uploaded and discarded, so if a file was posted on a newsgroup 2 months ago and you missed it then you won't be able to get it on newsgroups unless someone reposts it.

6. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

7. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

you can get by just fine with less than 5 commands on IRC, hell with the new search sites like packetnews or ircspy, you dont even have to know any commands. there's not as many fserves as there used to be so actually looking thru someone else's collection is not a necessary evil if someone doesn't want to do so. There are plenty of channels with xdcc bots that simply scroll ads thry the channel showing what packs they have ot offer, then it's just a matter of copying and pasting the command and filling in the pack number.
    IRC just looks difficult when you first get into it, but after a short time it feels right at home. I, and most of the people i know, average better speeds on IRC than we've ever seen from any torrents. Also, most of the networks nowadays are regulated by chanserv/nickserv, so the days of channel war, and sometimnes all out utter chaos for weeks, is pretty much a memory now. thats not to say there aren't still a few nasty things that can happen to you, but lets just say everyone is safe and sound for the most part.
    We have an IRC channel if anyone would like to stop in, everyone is welcome.