1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iritating Dvd Problem. Please help.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synth05, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

I'm pretty sure this is not on here, but here i go. Ever since i got my dvd burner dual layer 8x16x8 i'm satisfied, fast to me. I was backing up my dvd's in Dvd Shrink to my hd in about 9-13 min's. And burning them with Dvd Decrypter was flawless. I was happy it was great really quick. Ever since i downloaded the trial version of Nero to enable burning with dvd shrink this is when it all slowed down, and locked at all 2x speed for read, write, burning ect. It takes 2 hours to complete the whole thing which before it took like 15 mins to complete the whole process. Btw the trial is over on nero, and i decided to unistall nero today. I also read about enable DMA instead of the PIO which is all enabled still no difference. My comp. is running great and efficent i'm pretty sure its nero trial which basically f'ed everything up. My computer is a dell P4 2.8 Ghz, 80 gibabyte hd and basically this is the only thing thats bothering me. If all could help i would greatly appreciate it ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2005
  2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Sorry about your problems with nero. I have all three of those programs also and I have no problems. I do have the full version of nero, so maybe the trial version has issues. The thing you have to remember about any computer programs is that they may not be compatible with each other. If it aint broke, no need to fix it. Should have stayed with decrypter and shrink. Keep this in mind next time you have the urge to experiment. I learned my lesson the hard way. For now, uninstall what you can. Then run a search for anything on your hardrive that has anything to do with nero, especially in hidden folders and delete them. Defrag you hard drive and reset your system. Also, make sure nothing is running in the background. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  3. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Thanks for the advice, but no luck still the same. I can play and watch dvd's great no problem at all. But to read,rip, and burn them there only reaching at 2x speed at each of them! My dvd burner is 8x16x8. It seems something locked them at 2x speed. As i said i did defragmeant my drive check if DMA was available, and all i could do except reinstall the drivers which i'm not planning on doing yet. I think a program chaged my hardware or something because for every single program now freeware, shareware, trial's still the same. Btw my Cd burner is find burning at 58x or something like that. Please does any know anymore information ;p.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

After the Nero trial period expires, Shrink will still work with the Nero, only at 2X. The 30 day trial period starts from the time the trial is prepared for download at the site; not when installed on the PC. To use another copy of the trial, you will have to download again. I purchased the Ultra version so I wouldn't be bothered with having to do the downloads so often. I'm pleased with the purchase.

5. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Ok i reinstalled nero cause it made no difference. I have 6.0 Nero Ultra. What i want to know is why is it only transferring at about 2,500 kb/s to my hd for every program it used to go about 16,000 max!. It's getting me irritated and wasting my time. I don't have the demo of nero anymore btw. Please anymore information.

6. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Forget the thing i said above. My problem is that my transferring speed is locked at 2x for every program i use. I've bin trying to rip the dvd to my Hd and only bin reaching 2,500 kb/s for transferring rate with Dvd shrink, and Dvd decrpyter is slower.It used to go about 13,000 kb/s-16,000 at max. Which really saved time and was really quick in my opinion. Now at 2x it seems blah why have this. I think i found my problem, but i can't seem to fix it I used Nero Info Tool.

[bold][1:0] D:\HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B[/bold]
    - [bold]Primary IDE Channel[/bold]
    - [bold]Master: ST340014A[/bold]
    DMA on.

- [bold]Secondary IDE Channel[/bold]
    - [bold]HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B[/bold]
    DMA off. < this is it "i think, but read more."
    Autorun on.

I think it's transferring slow because DMA is off which i read in other forums, and learned about it. Ok to enable DMA i goto my computer right-click goto properties, click Hardware tab then goto Device Manager. I click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers [+] for the drop down menu. Nero said the [bold]DVD-ROM[/bold] drive is in the secondary IDE Channel, so i right-click that and goto properties then click the advanced settings tab, and heres some more information.

[bold]Device 0[/bold]

Device type: Auto Detection;(no dropdown arrow.)

Transfer Mode: DMA if available; which is correct; (has drop arrow.)

Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode which i think is incorrect! (has no dropdown arrow.)

[bold]Device 1[/bold]

Device type: same as 0. <-- (same as device 0 above.)

Transfer Mode: same as 0.

Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2 ( has no dropdown arrow.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

From trial to ownership and a confusing thread, tempts one to throw their hands up. When you did the new installation, did you delete the program or did you install over. Sounds like it might be an idea to do a clean install of all the programs involved. Delete all that are being troublesome. Run ad-aware and spybot. I run spysweeper as well. Then run a registry cleaner. Reboot and install Nero and then the Shrink and whatever. Most of the time a clean install clears things up. If not, then you know it isn't from corrupted files. Do fresh downloads for the install just in case.

If it still doesn't work, at least we'll be starting on the same page and not confused.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Seems you're having a problem with windows reading your drives properly. Go into device manager and disable them, then reboot and let windows pick them up again. That usually takes care of the DMA situation.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]Try using the Device Manager first.[/bold]

10. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Thanks for your time again i appreciate it. Ok i'm going to unistall from add/remove programs, delete files, folders, and hidden from start then clicking on search; on every burning program i downloaded, and see if there are any results.

Programs i downloaded if this tell you :

Alcohol120%,Cd-rwin,Dvd Decrypter,Dvd Shrink,Nero, . I don't know what cd-win will do, but what ever i'll give you the results.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Once you clean the system, only install the Nero, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Then download AnyDVD. http://www.slysoft.com Run AnyDVD in the background and then use DVD Shrink to record the movie. Then let Nero burn automatically. Make sure you have Shrink 3.2 and Decrypter 3.5.2.0.

12. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Done what you said same read rate transferring at 2,500 max staying 1-2x read speed which normally goes 16x. I also tryed on the AnyDVD to enable the speed control to Fast & Noisy; same results. Anymore information before i try and unistall, and probably may mess up my drives ;/. Thanks for your time though, and that is a nice program i had DvdIdle before which was good.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I didn't see this mentioned, if it was I apologize. Make sure you don't download and install InCD, pack #3. It WILL cause conflict with other DVD software and unless you have a need for packet writing software you don't need it.

14. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

I downloaded and installed this.

Content of Nero 6 Ultra Edition Major Update –
    Version 6.6 Free Trial Version:

Package 1

* Nero StartSmart 2
    * Nero Express 6
    * Nero BackItUp
    * Nero SoundTrax
    * Nero Image Drive

* Nero Burning ROM 6
    * Nero Cover Designer
    * Nero Wave Editor
    * Nero Toolkit

Download It (589 Byte )

Current version: 6.6.0.5
    Release date: January 10th, 2005
    Running until: February 28th, 2005
    Filesize: 28.92 MB (30333395)
    MD5 checksum: e5108d15149eb9d4cfdb0f4f8bb2e66a

Your saying the incd thingy there is none in this version im sure of, and if there was i didn't notice it while installing becuase i think there was no custom install buttons.

15. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

why do you have your dvd-rom (HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B) on the same channel as your primary hard drive?? It would be better placed as master on seconary with your burner as slave on secondary. i doubt this is your problem with slow rip speeds but is just something i noticed. DMA should difinitly be on

16. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

The Dvd burner came internally installed with the computer i bought. So that's probably the recommened way, or a program has changed it. My final post ;P before i create a system restore point, and unistall the drives then reboot then reinstall the drivers... My read rate is locked at 2x for each program i use i don't know how to fix it! transferring up to 2,500 kb/s if i get lucky its around 2,000-2,300. Can anyone help and make it happily at 16x ^_^'? please :(

My final post because i bin waiting all day sorry if i'm an impatience one.

17. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

a program cant change it, it is based on what cable it is plugged into. While you do a reinstall, i would advise you to change it so hard drive is master primary channel (it already is so leave), dvd-rom is master secondary channel (it isnt so move), dvd-burner is slave secondary channel (im assuming its master at the moment). Also after switching DMA backon, remember that most burners are read locked to 2x whereas dvd-roms arent so use your rom to rip

18. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

I'll be asleep from hours from now. So till then i will lie and still ask questions ;p

19. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Ok I haven't unistalled/reinstalled my drives; thats going to be the last thing i do. If you know anything about services.msc i've messed alittle with the services if this could give a speed problem to be locked at 2x read rate, and yes i'm ripping with my dvd-rom drive, and thats the only speed it can get up to which it really can go 16x!. Please be my saviour ;P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  20. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

if you havent deleted your drive from device manager you will still be stuck in pio mode. this is bad. delete your drive and reboot