1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 360 Backup Worth the Effort?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by raid517, Apr 4, 2007.

1. raid517

raid517 Member

Hi, OK I'm a n00b. Les of a n00b than I was 24 hours ago since I successfully dismantled my XBox and flashed with the Samsung Xtreme 52C Firmware.

In any case, the first question I want to ask, is this whole backup thing seems so much effort. Even downloading the games illegally is a load of effort - I mean they are huge and take forever to get. So is it really worthwhile to do?

TBH from a personal standpoint I am not so interested in playing games. The challenge for me was in hacking the XBox - just as I have hacked (the many) previous consoles I have owned in the past. The fun part is the hacking and making them do things that they are not supposed to do.

So all in all I am not likely to be a huge XBox 360 pirate.

However given that I rarely play games and that really the person I did this for is my nephew who does play games, can anyone tell me what the easiest methodology for obtaining XBox 360 games is? I guess the simple answer is to buy them - but really secretly, there is an element of doubt to anyone who says they would go through this process simply in order to back up their legally owned games. I'm sure there are a few - and there are always exceptions to the rule, but probably the majority do it in order to play pirated games.

That said, my only interest is in finding the best source of prepatched games that simply require burning with a suitable software application.

So this begs another question of how common are these games? And also again what is the best source? I have downloaded a few ISO's from bittorrent (again not something I would want to personally repeat too often given the commitment in time that this involves) but each time I have tried (even though I chose region specific/PAL disks) burning and trying to play the games has proved a miserable failure.

So basically my question is, given that I really just want to view (even if only briefly) the fruits of my efforts (and that really, odd as it might sound I bought an XBox specifically only so that I could hack it) what is the least stressful and trouble free way to obtain properly formatted game disks - and how can one know for certain whether a game that is being downloaded is prepatched or not?

Many thanks for any answers anyone can give.

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

we cant tell you where to get the games, but if you get the games we can tell you how to burn a game. but we will be assuming you own the original, and you may want to edit this stuff about asking for games that you dont own, its against the rules

3. raid517

raid517 Member

Sorry, oh well thanks.

I guess you had better ignore this thread then.

Really my main interest is homebrew. I got this Xbox when I learned it was possible to install Linux on the 360 - and I got the impression that it seemed that the 360 homebrew scene was about to take off.

Unfortunately I ended up with an incompatible (Samsung) drive for Linux, so that is no go for now - and I am no longer certain whether the homebrew scene is going to open up in quite the way I imagined.

So really the other stuff was just to see what else it could do.

I am not even certain I will keep the 360 yet - as beyond hacking it, if there isn't anything else very much interesting that you can do with it, it doesn't seem to have much point to having it.

I almost certainly won't buy any games (just like I never did for my XBox1) but that is largely because I don't play games.

The rest I was just curious about to see what it could do. Waiting several days (or weeks) for a game (that I won't play) to download is hardly my idea of fun anyway. I just like the technical side of things.

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

well if you own a game and dont have the drive you can search around on this site, there are references to sites to get games, but most are on private torrent trackers and you have to be registered to download them and good liukc finding them with open registration, but the home brew scene wont be too big any time soon i dont think, but you can always do your own custom case mods while your waiting!!!