1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is AML media anygood?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by SPARKY01, Mar 6, 2005.

1. SPARKY01

SPARKY01 Member

I bought some CompUSA dvd-R ($20 for 100) and the manufacurer comes up saying AML, does anyone know if these are good?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I don't know about that exact code, most media with that code is store brand name media.

That's the media to be very leary of. Most experience members won't waste the money on store brand media like compusa/staple/best-buy.
    We experienced users usually stick with the good brands like taiyo yuden,mitsubishi chemical,maxell,fuji,tdk,ritek,sony. This media is mostly made in japan,by far the best media in the world.Some of them are made in taiwan,may be ok,but stick with the ones that are made in japan and you will have fewer issues. Check those labels out when you purchase your next batch.

You got 100 comp usa discs, burn them very slow.Reduce your backup target to 4300 mbs. Just a couple tips that will help you get through them.

3. SPARKY01

SPARKY01 Member

Thanks for the info, I'll probally get some Taio Yoden or however you spell it at Meritline.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I didn't see anybody answering your question,so I had to throw my 2 cents worth in. Genuine ty's are the best-beware of fakes. When you buy regular brand name media-different manufacturers come into the picture. The quality level varies between these manufacturers.

That's the hard part on media, High quality media is critical for burning success and playability in the stand alone players.You buy a spindle of office max -4x media and it works great,buy when you buy your next batch-it's a bunch of crap. Usually a different manufacturer is the reason.Same with memorex.

I am very fond of maxell. They have very good manufacturers like: maxell,ritek,taiyo yuden,hitachi,and ricohjpn.. I would take any of these manufacturers in a heart-beat.When switching from +4x maxell to -8x maxell, those are still one of the 5 manufacturers they use..

Looks like you purchase your media at your local stores-like I do, next time you go into a staples/best buy/office depot/or compusa- look on the labels for where that spindle/case pack was made. Look for the ones made in JAPAN. Especially on the fuji/sony/tdk. You are sure to get some great quality media if they were made in japan. Made in taiwan,may be pretty good.You just have to know which taiwanese mfgs are good. If made anywhere else like india/austria-avoid them like the plague.

I pay $20 for a spindle of 50/$10 for spindles of 25 max-when on sale. My sony-made in japan media-yuden000-t02 burn at %100 success,and %100 playability on my stand alone players in the + format.

Good luck and burn on!

5. madgreek

madgreek Guest

We are batteling this out in another forum. I got pretty beat up in the last forum. I have the 100 spindle from compusa and I love them. They work great i have burned 60 already and only 1 coaster. every test i run on them it passes. I mean they seem ok. They are reg 69.95 so they can't be that bad.

6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey sparky01 and madgreek, It all depends on how your burner and players like them.Everyone of them are different.
    If you are not having any trouble,then thats good. Just be cautious.The next batch you get,you may not be so fortunate. That is what we have to watch out for on "store brand name media".
    Good Luck and burn on.

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

9. madgreek

madgreek Guest

With this media it is very picky. I burned all 100 so far they all work great. You do need a good not some no brand dvd player to play them. Also a lite on brand burner worked great