1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is ARcoSS dead?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wolfniggr, Mar 22, 2005.

1. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

My girl just bought Closer and I noticed it was a Superbit DVD. I was trying to figure out why this would be released with a dts soundtrack, but then I noticed this was a columbia(sony) release.

I then proceeded to see if I could back this up with just shrink and nero. Usually, when you open an arcoss disc the initial analyzation fails, but this one didn't. I then attempted to back it up with a +RW to test if it would burn to completion. About an hour and a half later it was done and played perfectly on my test(touchy) dvd player.

So, did sony give up on this useless protection?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

nah, they're probably just taking a breather. trouble is with all this new protection lark, my 20gb drive just can't cut it (ie when i have to use decryptor to do full disc i have to use my spare 20gb (hangs head in shame) drive in an enclosure which is sooo slow. Crazy cus i have 2 exact same enclosures (can't use both at once as theyre both masters) and my dvd reader that i do all ripping from, is lighnting fast whereas the 20gb in the other enclosure is crap slow. i think it's all usb driver related as i also have troublesome usb card reader built-in that don't play ball.

Anyway i digress, gonna go look for a newer hard drive online in readiness for round 2 of arccos or it's spawn !

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I figured they were just going to concentrate on better protections for the next format(HD-DVD, BluRay). I don't see the point in spending more money on new protections when they're cracked within weeks. I thought they finally came to their senses.