1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is backward compatability important to you? Poll inside

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by game!boy, Oct 10, 2007.

1. game!boy

game!boy Guest

After all the talk about b.c. not being in the new 40 gig PS3 I would like to know your feelings. Vote here. See the results there.
    This is also posted in the PS3 message boards at IGN,Gamespot, 1up.com and now here.
    Please vote here

Results Here

2. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Backwards compatibility is what the Playstations are known for, that's the only reason I think its important, because its practically their slogan. Other than that I don't really care about playing ps2 or ps1 games on my ps3 as Ive already played the crap out of them.

3. pcrazy99

pcrazy99 Regular member

I don't really care if I can play PS2 games on the PS3. I'll just keep my PS2 if I want to play any old games.

4. plascebo

plascebo Member

Personally I think it is a very important issue, have a big library of PS2 games and don't feel like buying the 40g PS3 and having to unhook two separate machines depending on what game I want to play, would much prefer to be able to play my RE4 on the PS3 rather than unplugging and plugging in separate machines depending on what game I am going to play!

5. TProfit

TProfit Member

I didnt buy my PS3 to play ps2 or ps1 games. But with that said its nice to know that when or if I wanted to I have the option. There are still new games being made for the ps2 and with the vast sony library out there its a waste to have to keep 2 machines hooked up just to play them all. I say find a 60gb before its too late, although I think the original 60GB first release was the best one so far. Its just one more thing for M$$$ fanboys to rave about.

6. Navar

Navar Member

I bought my ps3 to play the next gen. ps3 games. The ps2 is the past.

7. Bawango

Bawango Regular member

I still have a few PS2 games since I bought the PS3 and you know what. The only time I have popped in a PS2 disc is to see how the graphics looked upscaled. I started playing Shadow of The Colossus and I forgot that I need rumble to find the Colossus's lol. So is backwards compatibility important?? It depends on the person. If your still holding on to PS1 and PS2 games then lost of backwards compatibility is a big deal. I have a 60GB model so I don't have to worry about it :p

8. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

I'm really suck in the middle with this issue because i think its important now.But after Sony get there gaming library going with a lot of good titles i think this isn't going to be a issue.

9. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Ahh I don't know what to do... The thing about no backwards compatibility is confusing, even though it's not totally true. BWC will be added through updates, instead of already built in like the 60GBs. The question is, how far will they take the BWC with their updates? These systems could even have better BWC then the 60GBs in the end, or it could have worse, or much worse.

10. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

This topic has mixed responses,i personally think it should have backwards compatability as id do like playing old games.

But when the PS10 comes out in 30 years time will people still want it to play ps1 games,perhaps a small amount.

People like playing old games hence there being emulators for every console ever created.

The wii does it so why cant sony,i love my ps3 but its list of playable ps2 games are limited.

11. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

Backwards compatibility is a huge issue for me, mainly because my reasoning behind buying a ps3 was that my ps2 broke. Thus I would really not like to have to go buy another one just to play the same old games as before.

On another level you also have a space constraint issue, Most people do not like a lot of clutter and if the systems weren't backwards compatible then you would have no choice but to have multiple platforms sitting there taking up space in order to play only a few older classics that you enjoy (like FF7 or Zone of Enders The Second Runner)

12. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

On the PS3 i wouldn't really care because i already have a modded PS2. But i would care for the 360 since i never owned an Xbox 1.

13. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

I have modded ps2 and i am planning to buy a ps3. But i am really confused at the moment. I don't have that many original ps2 games. and if i buy the 400$ ps3 i will save 100 dollars. otherwise if i buy the 60gb model. i will have the backward compatibility but i wont be able to play my ps2 back ups.

14. tyler123

tyler123 Regular member

have a 60gig uk proper .will be going to the local pawnshop .blockbusters etc.will be trying to get as many ps1 and 2 for 100 pounds uk .it is important to me for ps 1 2 compatability .no other reason than i can

15. EvilPedr0

EvilPedr0 Guest

if you already have a ps2 why do you care about/need bc compability?

16. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Ain't it great to still have a 60GB? Ahh I love being able to know I have almost, or full 100% backwards compatability.. ;)

17. iamabe

iamabe Member

personally, i would rather have a ps2 than a non-bc ps3 until more good games come out for ps3. either way i got a bc 60gig so all is well...